Tweak Minty to regulated 3.0V output?

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
headbonk

Tweak Minty to regulated 3.0V output?

Post by headbonk »

In theory, I took electrical engineering in college, but it was mainly digital and it was <a really long time> ago. :oops:

I'm wondering if it is a reasonable thing to do to tweak a Minty Boost kit into being used as a regulated 3.0 volt source. If it's just swapping out a a couple resistors or a cap here and there I think I could handle it. I just took a quick scan of the MAX756 data sheet and it seems at least theoretically possible to run it in 3.3v mode and tweak the output with resistors. I'm wondering more if this is just a dumb idea from a circuit engineering point of view or if there isn't an easier solution out there. I think the power source would be rechargeables so I wouldn't need to worry about input volts exceeding output volts.

Comments? Suggestions? Flames?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

you would need to cut a trace and resolder it, check the datasheet for more info

Entropy

Post by Entropy »

Regulated 3.3 - Yes, probably with alkalines or NiMHs

Regulated 3.0 - Not with alkalines, Vin is too close to Vout

headbonk

Post by headbonk »

Regulated 3.0 - Not with alkalines, Vin is too close to Vout
From my original post:
I think the power source would be rechargeables so I wouldn't need to worry about input volts exceeding output volts.
If I do this, I promise I'll only use rechargeables. :lol:

My other option would be to go with four alkalines or rechargeables and use a buck converter to step down from 4.8-6. Minty boost is cheap & easy access with good support community.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”