Mintyboost heats up a ton with my phone but not others?

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nerdydude101

Mintyboost heats up a ton with my phone but not others?

Post by nerdydude101 »

So my minty boost works fine with most devices, I've tried it on my friends slightly old android phone (i think its like one or two years old) and it works fine, doesn't heat up too much, it works as expected, however if i try and charge my iPhone 5c, it heats up loads, after about 9-10 minutes its burning hot, and then it says "this devices may not be supported" but if i let it cool down for a while, it will work again for another 4-6 minutes (after that the batteries are dead) so what would be the problem? is it just getting too hot? and what would be a solution? (i have made no modifications to the design, the only thing i hope to do in the future is to maybe add a second battery pack in parallel to increase the amount of charge it can give and maybe make it solar or make another one that is solar) Thanks for any help you can give!

Franklin97355

Re: Mintyboost heats up a ton with my phone but not others?

Post by Franklin97355 »

You may have to modify the charging rate. Take a look at this tutorial for more information.

nerdydude101

Post by nerdydude101 »

So how would I alter the mintyboost 3.0 to do this so that it charges all the way through and doesn't heat up so much? And did the mintyboost plus that was mentioned in the video get stopped because I've never heard of it

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The current generation of phones are right at the limits of what the MintyBoost is capable of. To get the most out of it, be sure to use high-quality batteries designed fo high-drain applications. 3.7 LiPo cells are a good choice here.
And did the mintyboost plus that was mentioned in the video get stopped because I've never heard of it
See the PowerBoost:
https://www.adafruit.com/search?q=powerboost

nerdydude101

Post by nerdydude101 »

Is the power boost something you have to build or does it come preassembled? And will it still work with AA batteries?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1903
Each order comes with one fully assembled and tested PCB and a loose USB A jack. If you are powering your project from USB, solder the USB A jack in (a 3-minute soldering task). If you would like to use a terminal block, pick up a 3.5mm 2pin block here and solder to the output spot where the USB jack would go. Or don't solder anything in for a more compact power pack.
you can get 500mA+ from as low as 1.8V, 750mA+ from 2 NiMH or Alkaline batteries, and at least 1000mA from a 3.7V LiPoly/LiIon battery or 3 NiMH/Alkalines.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”