Solar Lipo Charger won't provide power to MB while charging

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
justbennett

Solar Lipo Charger won't provide power to MB while charging

Post by justbennett »

Is there a common problem that would cause this?

The solar charger will charge my LiPo battery.
When I unplug the charger from a voltage source (no solar, no usb, barrel jack) it will provide power to the MintyBoost like normal.
If I leave the Minty Boost plugged in to a device and reconnect a voltage source to the charger the charger will begin charging but the Minty Boost stops receiving power. The solar liPo board is supposed to keep providing voltage when it is charging.

The exact same setup was working earlier.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Solar Lipo Charger won't provide power to MB while charg

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What is your power source? How much current can it provide? What is the load on the MintyBoost? What is the charge state of your battery?

It is possible that you don't have enough input current to drive the load and charge the battery at the same time.

justbennett

Re: Solar Lipo Charger won't provide power to MB while charg

Post by justbennett »

Thanks, I thought the liPo charger would give priority to providing power over charging the battery and thus keep providing power even when the charging source is insufficient. I was using a laptop USB(2? I think) for the charging source. I'm guessing that's 500-800mA. The mintyboost is powering an arduino with a Nokia monochrome display, not sure the current draw there.

I'll give the battery a nice full charge and test everything again, perhaps with a bigger power source. I will post here if I figure out anything or need further assistance.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”