Multiple USB ports?

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Billie

Multiple USB ports?

Post by Billie »

Hi, I'm interested in making a larger sized USB charger, using 2 D batteries, and adding multiple USB ports. Is it as simple as just adding multiple USB ports in parallel to the current USB used on the miniboost circuit? I assume so considering you just have a bigger load on the DC/DC component itself, but can get more power from larger batteries. Let me know what you think.

koolkat

Post by koolkat »

well, the max756 only supply's around 250mA(correct me if im wrong)

so charging two devices might not work.(if the devices use up that much power)

i think the version 2 board has a different converter that can supply more current

Billie

Post by Billie »

cool, so I might just upgrade the DC/DC converter if needed to a device that can provide more current correct? If thats the only hurdle, is there anything else that would need to be completed?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

the current kit uses an LT1307 which can provide ~500mA
as long as its not two iphones, you should be able to charge multiple devices

Billie

Post by Billie »

Yeah I just plan on charging my Nintendo DS, or my fiancee's Samsung mp3 player, or my mp3 player on the subway when a computer isn't going to be around for a while. I wouldn't think that it would go above 500 mA. If anything, is there another chip that provides more current?

lou

Post by lou »

Billie wrote:is there another chip that provides more current?
It might be possible to add an external (to the chip) FET to get stronger switching. I don't know enough about FETs to know how to spec that. The inductor and diode would also have to be capable of handling (storing, passing, etc.) the energy. 450mA is already putting a substantial load (more than 450mA) on the batteries.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”