Using another Boost Converter w/ the PowerBoost 500

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
johnny_mnemonic

Using another Boost Converter w/ the PowerBoost 500

Post by johnny_mnemonic »

I need 12 volts DC to power a class-T digital amplifier but I also want to use the PowerBoost 500 Charger with the PID-353 Li-Ion battery pack (3.7v) because of its size and dual-use design. (The 5v USB socket will be great for powering devices such as the iPod I'm using as the audio source.) My plan is to use a cheap (eBay) DC-DC boost converter set to 12v to power the amplifier. I'm assuming it would be more efficient to connect the 12v converter directly to the battery rather than the 5v output of the PowerBoost, but would this interfere with the PowerBoost's ability to charge the battery? If it would interfere, is there any reason why I cannot / should not put one boost converter after another?

Project details, if interested:

Have an old cooler stereo that has a 6AA battery compartment and an old analog amplifier with a 3.5mm input and two terrible sounding 4" speakers. I want to retrofit with better speakers and better amp (Got the Dayton DTA-2, 15 watts x 2). Original plan was to use the existing 6AA batteries & compartment, but the PowerBoost 500 would be an excellent way to incorporate a rechargeable battery pack as well as provide a USB socket for external devices.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Using another Boost Converter w/ the PowerBoost 500

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Connecting the second boost controller in parallel with the battery, the boost controller and the battery will share the charge current. If the boost controller draws more than the charge current (which seems probable) there will be a net discharge from the battery.

johnny_mnemonic

Post by johnny_mnemonic »

Understood. I guess what I'm wondering is if the charge circuit of the PowerBoost is looking for a particular pattern (say a steady increase in battery voltage) while charging, and may not like sudden dips in voltage or spikes in current caused by the amplifier during loud musical notes.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I guess what I'm wondering is if the charge circuit of the PowerBoost is looking for a particular pattern (say a steady increase in battery voltage) while charging
It does have some thresholds that trigger transitions to different phases of the charge cycle. Having a load in parallel could disrupt (and likely prolong) the charge cycle.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”