R3 and R4 of 5V power supply

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Bandit

R3 and R4 of 5V power supply

Post by Bandit »

The resistor values quoted in the instructions yeild an output voltage of around 13V when it should be 5V. The datasheet advises 13.3K Ohms for the lower resistor so I choose 12K. The equation the datasheet provides was used to calculate the value of the other resistor, aprox 39K Ohm to get 5V output, but this doesnt seem to work.

What values for R3 and R4 have you used to get 5V on the main board? Thanks.

Bandit

Re: R3 and R4 of 5V power supply

Post by Bandit »

I got it working, I used a 39K resistor with the 12K:)

andyroo56

Post by andyroo56 »

What value of capacitor did you use for C20? My R3, R4 and C20 are: 36.5k, 12k and 590pF, but my regulator isn't working. It seems to start off kind of ok (4.8V), but then slowly dwindles until it settles around 3.3V.

Any suggestions? I'm getting really frustrated with this darn regulator.

andyroo56

Post by andyroo56 »

I saw on a lot of other peoples designs that they completely omitted C20. This capacitor is used to prevent oscillation according to the datasheet, but should not affect the output voltage.

I removed it and changed the 36.5k resistor with a 39k resistor. The regulator started giving me a reasonable voltage (~5.3V) that it MAINTAINED for a while, until about a minute later the voltage jumped up to ~12.5V and eventually fried the 100uF tantalum capacitor. I replaced the tantalum and dropped the 39k resistor back down to 36.5k but I am scared to turn it on again as I am worried that it will fry this tantalum (it is the last one i have).

Any suggestions are appreciated, this is rather frustrating.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”