soldering vco

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
westbrookp1

soldering vco

Post by westbrookp1 »

I am having trouble soldering the vco. I simply will not stick to the pads. Are there any special techniques used for these devices?

Rotzog

Re: soldering vco

Post by Rotzog »

Google "smt tutorial". You will find several hints and techniques, such as:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorials.php

You may have to clean the pads on both the board and component with steel wool first.

westbrookp1

Post by westbrookp1 »

Yea that does help, but my biggest problem is that ill put solder on the pcb pad and then solder on the leads, but using the iron, i do not get a connection. Its kind of hard because all of the leads are under the device. I am also worried i am keeping the iron there for too long. I am just looking for advice on how other people did this step.

charliex

Post by charliex »

generic answer, but lots of good flux.

enorcrove

Post by enorcrove »

You probably already figured it out, but for future reference for the next person. The problem you are having is soldering the VCO pins that are connected to the ground plane. This means that the heat you are applying to the pad is being dissipated into the ground plane and not heating up the connection enough.

This is solved by either holding the heat there longer or heating the whole ground plane up with something like hot air. When I did the VCO’s on the wavebubble I ended up using a higher temp (550 deg.) but every time I have ran into this problem since i have used the hot air method.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”