Wave Bubble 2010

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
skygear

Re: Wave Bubble 2010

Post by skygear »

As I said last year, if these are ready to go and printed black, I'm in! whoever was going to get the group buy together lets get on it or kil the project all together. If everythings ready to go, I'll start ording components to populate my boards

erich81

Post by erich81 »

skygear wrote:As I said last year, if these are ready to go and printed black, I'm in! whoever was going to get the group buy together lets get on it or kil the project all together. If everything's ready to go, I'll start ordering components to populate my boards
I am about to send out an order for test to make sure the boards converted correctly, I'm just waiting to get my first order from BatchPCB to see their quality. IF it's good, I'll send the order out probably in the next week or two, but it takes them a month on average to deliver boards from day of order, so it'll be a while. I've already ordered the parts required, so be patient. I don't mind doing the group order as long as people order in advance, I'm not going to get stuck with 200$ worth of boards lying around my house. If you can wait a little longer, I may do the group order, but I'm going to run a test of my conversion first.

Also, "Kill the project all together"? where do you come off on this? if you can't be patient, then leave, or design your own "Wave Bubble 2011". Nobody here is under any obligation to provide you with boards when you demand them.

erich81

Post by erich81 »

No updates on this in a while it seems. can the redesign be combined with the firmware from the original or does it need to be tweaked for the new design?

Also, I want to let everyone know that after re-visiting the design imported into eagle, i discovered a few moderate errors (could be fixed with an exacto knife if you made boards off of it). Eagle doesn't support flat caps for wires, only rounded, so for the traces coming off the center pin of the SMA connectors, they all touch down the line. I'm replacing the wires with filled polygons to simulate squared wires, and will update the design again on here. Again, this is a correctable fix if anyone has run designs from the Batchpcb profiles i posted earlier, but I'll post fixed copies soon after I do a full 1:1 comparison to the board layout produced by target viewer.

Mictronics

Post by Mictronics »

I'm busy with other things.

But I will put the firmware for hardware tests in the wiki this weekend. Almost all test options are working just PLL tests are missing.

The operational firmware still has some issues I need to look at.

Don't worry I'm still on track with the project ;)

Mictronics

Post by Mictronics »

Sourcecode and precompiled file for the hardware test firmware are available, see the Wiki page.

erich81

Post by erich81 »

excellent! As an update, I had fixed the issues with the previous eagle layouts I posted, however our network was hit hard by a virus and a number of machines were taken to be cleaned, including mine, so I lost the designs temporarily. We use Live backup at work, but I don't know if the BRD files were backed up. If necessary I'll fix the BRDs and post again if they aren't backed up. I had uploaded a copy to BATCHPCB.com and ordered 1 set, if they come back fine then they should work for any other board house. I'll keep you guys updated if you want to use my converted files.

TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

Ooh, one thing I've been working on lately is porting the Wavebubble RC1a firmware into Arduino code. It should (hopefully) work just like the stock firmware but it would be a lot easier to understand whats happening. Not to mention programmable though the USB cable.

wing23

Post by wing23 »

I think I can forget about the project :/
I have troubles getting the needed parts and I don't know what troubles the customs might give ...

cornz

Post by cornz »

wing23 wrote:I think I can forget about the project :/
I have troubles getting the needed parts and I don't know what troubles the customs might give ...
You give in too easily. I live in europe and have had no trouble (relatively speaking) getting the parts.
Digi-key, mini-circuits europe and ebay have sorted them all out for me...
You are just being defeatist. You dont make something like this in a day....
Seek and ye shall find...

decoder

Post by decoder »

how match PCB Wave Buble 2010 (PCB kit) ?

erich81

Post by erich81 »

DeCodeR wrote:how match PCB Wave Buble 2010 (PCB kit) ?
How match what? There are no kits available. Make it yourself.

As an update, I got test boards back from BatchPCB.com, E-tested them myself and they appear good. I ordered parts for the battery board, assembled that, and it works fine (waiting on battery), but the LED works, FT232RL Works, and I'm able to Echo text back in a terminal session. I'm currently waiting on a stencil so I can reflow solder the main board, or at least the more complicated side, and then I'll be able to test the main board. If you're interested heres what it's cost me so far:

PCBs 14$ each from BatchBCP.com + shipping and handing = around 40$
Parts for Lithium Ion Battery board, including battery and shipping = 34$

The VCO's are 29.95$ each from mini-circuits.com, and so far my newark.com order for all the other parts (cheaper than digikey by far for most items) is around 40$. In total, you're looking at around 100-130$ or so for all the parts required, not including a case, plus a few hours of your time.

If you don't want to spend that much, go to dealxtreme, they have jammers on there for 19$, and they work to about 5-10 feet. I bought one so I know. You should only attempt this if you know what you're doing with SMDs
wing23 wrote:I think I can forget about the project :/
what trouble are you having? Do you not have internet access? a mailing address? Like the other commenter, I do not know how you cannot get stuff using the internet.

PCB manufacturing:
BatchPCB.com
PCBCART.com

Parts ordering:
Mouser.com
Digikey.com
Newark.com
Ebay.com
mini-circuits.com

You can get EVERY THING you need from those 7 links... you're just too lazy to do it.

erich81

Post by erich81 »

I just received my battery in, and tested the charging board. between battery and board, I'm getting around .95-1.02 Amps, I don't have my soldering iron near by to test the thermistor, but does this sound like the correct current?

Edit: Well, I ended up attaching the battery, plugged a usb cable in to check charging. Is it normal for the LTC1730-4.2 to get warm? I took a laser thermometer to it, and it reads around 90-95 degrees F. Ambient is about 80 degrees in my office (took thermometer reading from my desk, so this is 10-15 degrees higher than ambient, plus looking at the datasheet, it looks like rise is expected to be around 28 degrees C above ambient, so this is well within limits according to the datasheet.

Mictronics

Post by Mictronics »

Keep in mind the LTC1730 uses an internal FET to control the charging process, so all current is going through the IC, and therefore you have a heat dissipation.
By the way, the charging current is only limited by the voltage source and the maximum current set by R1.

decoder

Post by decoder »

anybody sell PCB REV.2C ??

wing23

Post by wing23 »

oh, I'm not too lazy
I just fear customs problems, did anyone actually read my complete post?
all named websites are US sites
the order value exceeds the customs limit so I have to visit the customs office to get the parts from them
and explain stuff and hand out invoices and all of that -_-
it wouldn't be the 1st time :/

I look on ebay a lot, can't find anything close to my location or just dubious looking offers ...

buuuut, I will keep looking

I was hoping to be able to make a radio transmitter with a mini-circuits VCO, so I could have ordered the needed part(s) along with the wave bubble parts ^^

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”