Spacedoggys WB 2010 Build Diary

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lcstyle

Re: Spacedoggys WB 2010 Build Diary

Post by lcstyle »

spacedoggy wrote:ok, I got by power stabilised, and resumed work on this.

2 questions:
-What do i need to check to get the 1300 to lock?
-the 2700 locking at 20.4V seems a little high, is this ok?

Good question, I can't get either VCO to lock. Probably a problem with the feedback circuit.

2700 locking at 20.4 high? What freq are you trying to lock at?
For the ROS2700-1819+: 3.3((64.9/10)+1) = 24.717V (Max Vtune for ROS 2700 is 25V)

Again if the voltage is too high for a lower freq lock then it is probably a problem with the feedback circuit, which is probably the most difficult circuit to understand / tune.

Anyone with in depth knowledge on this particular aspect care to chime on on possible steps to troubleshoot? Specific values for measurement across points, etc. Please feel free. Technically speaking you would need an oscilloscope with double the bandwidth to sample VCO output, i.e. for 1300 you need a scope with at least 3 ghz bandwidth etc.

Good luck!

TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

Actually a Spectrum Analyser would be of more use. That way you can see the peak sweeping over the frequency range, or at least you should.

lcstyle

Post by lcstyle »

The only way to really test this is to run the feedback circuit in an open loop, (disconnect the VCO from the tuning portion).

Take a variable dc supply and apply it to the VCO tuning input, Vt.

Program up your synth chip, check the ref osc is running, check the phase polarity (especially if running an active loop filter).

Now sweep the VCO slowly with your dc supply. If the programming is right, you should see the voltage on the output of the loop filter suddenly flip state as the VCO freq crosses the desired output freq.

that is a phase lock loop, when it goes over (deviates to far from your tune point) it will reverse phase to make the VCO come back, and this repeats over and over again thus keeping the VCO locked in tune.

More here:
http://mobiledevdesign.com/standards_re ... frequency/
http://rfdesign.com/mag/howtodebug1.pdf

lcstyle

Post by lcstyle »

TheFallen wrote:Actually a Spectrum Analyser would be of more use. That way you can see the peak sweeping over the frequency range, or at least you should.
Yes, you do need a tool that can help you visualize what is happening. You could spend upwards of 5 thousand dollars US on a Spectrum Analyser for a project who's parts cost no more than 300 dollars, or you could spend about $400 US on a high freq 3ghz frequency counter which will do the exact same thing (for testing purposes) (just display the information in a different way).

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 2145422_-1

spacedoggy

Post by spacedoggy »

$400 is expensive for something that does so little, for almost as much one could get a USRP1 software defined radio and use GNU radio software to scan the frequencies.

All this is out of my price range until i win the BANNED.

lcstyle

Post by lcstyle »

spacedoggy wrote:$400 is expensive for something that does so little, for almost as much one could get a USRP1 software defined radio and use GNU radio software to scan the frequencies.
All this is out of my price range until i win the BANNED.
I suggest you forget about all this if you hit the lotto.

Disclaimer: IANAL

DimaGS

Post by DimaGS »

Hi Spacedoggy,

I'm new also in electronics and I'm working on this projet in my school. I'll been doing the modifications too, I want to jam the 4G frequency so I'm using the ROS 2700 et I'm thinking to change the power switch. Exactly which component have you used to replace the original MIC2514? Or you haven't change it at all? I hope yu can help me, I need a power switch which can works with 18V. Thank you so much and greetings.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”