WB 2010 Full firmware

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Mictronics

WB 2010 Full firmware

Post by Mictronics »

Since I can not attach files any longer to the wiki the full operational firmware goes here.

As provided the firmware can store 5 programs.
One can increase the number of possible programs by modifing the MAX_PROGRAMS define in file main.h.

Each program needs 12 bytes of EEPROM. So you can calculate yourself how much can be stored.

There are also frequency limits for the VCO defined in main.h. These might be adjusted to your hardware.

When at least one program is stored, you have 2 seconds after power up to send a key press via serial terminal. Otherwise the last used program will be loaded.

When you enter a start frequency with 0 then the corresponding VCO will be turned OFF in this program.
So you can operated a single VCO or both together.

The blink code of the LED will tell you the program number actual running.

Post any firmware related comments here.
Attachments
WB2010_Hardware_Test.zip
Firmware for hardware test
Version 06/12/2010

Added: Press "Space" to reprint the menu on terminal.
(127.51 KiB) Downloaded 473 times
WB2010_Firmware.zip
Version 06/12/2011
Fixed bug in tuning which results in error "RF VCO range is too high!"
(131.86 KiB) Downloaded 535 times
Last edited by Mictronics on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spacedoggy

Re: WB 2010 Full firmware

Post by spacedoggy »

Thanks for the info/code mike, i loaded it onto mine and it seems to have froze out the chip. i power cycle the WB and get a couple of "#%&" type characters in the terminal. the 3.3V rail seems to be dead also and a restore of the test firmware is not working, I have some spare micro controllers, so will try change it out and check the 3.3V supply.

Not a whole lot of time these past few weeks for fun stuff, but hope to get cracking on this on the weekend.

SD.

spacedoggy

Post by spacedoggy »

ok, installed this on a new microcontroller. i kept the fuse config from test and installed the main.eep and main.hex
I hold down power for 2 seconds to power on, I get green light ok but i still get jibberish in the terminal on all bitrates.
i can however restore the test hex file which is running normally.
I'll keep playing about with it.

annegrnd

Post by annegrnd »

hi
I have some trouble making work the wavebubble full firmware. I m using winavr studio and not using the given makefile.
I wanna get some precision concerning SUT_CKSEL and CKDIV8 fuses' vaules.
the files compiles but i m getting garbage on the hyperterm.
Thank you for help

Mictronics

Post by Mictronics »

annegrnd

Post by annegrnd »

HI
thanks i have some doubt for these values that's why i needed a confirmation.
Actually the problem is that i m able to run the firmware_v1.0 (RC1) (with holding on the switch S2 key :) )
but not able to run the firmware (i still have garbage on the hyperterm)
I tried to change the usart functions with those of the v1.0 version but still got nothing.
thank u for help
anne

Mictronics

Post by Mictronics »

New firmware version, see first post.

viperspike

Post by viperspike »

I've built two wavebubble 2010 Rev 2b (i need to replace IC1 on the second (WB#2) tomorrow to get it working) but am having a problem with the first
On the wavebubble (WB#1), but am having trouble loading the firmware. I have loaded the main.hex as posted above, but am unsure if I need to load any other files. When I connect to the WB using putty it returns weird characters such as:

(
xÀ&ã,Êë+c@WÀص£-BANNED«¤«¥«Õ­«Õ¬«Õ¬«Õå«å«å«å
@ Abï
BANNED¨¬«Õå«¥«Õ­«Õ¬«å«å«¥«Õ­
(8@·,
º(+ïº(
9é(+¯*@Â@J¢, (8@
õµ ( `ص
(8Àª£n¡å 8$ã.Êë+c@Â@ý«-ꥩ¤«Õ­«å«å«¥«Õ­«¥«­«Õ¬
@ R`¯Ý
­¨¬«³(+¯²å«Õ¬«Õ­«Õå©å«¥
(Z÷,
8é(+ï*BRÂJ¢,

(
x(
õµ 9ª£&¡¥
(
8À$ª,Êë+c@Wµë-BANNED©¤«Õ­«Õå©å«å«¥«Õ­«Õ¬«å
×`Abï
BANNED¤«»(+ﲫ¥«Õ¬«å«¥«Õ­
(Z·,
8À (+ï*@Â@BANNED£,

(8@Û­
µ½
(

When I load the Firmware test I can use all of the functions and it displays normally, but with the real firmware its gibberish

Do I need to load other files besides the main.hex? if so in what order.

Thanks - Viperspike

lightningserpent

Post by lightningserpent »

I usually get garbled text like that when the baud rate the chip is sending at and the terminal is expecting do not match.

viperspike

Post by viperspike »

Right now I'm using putty and using baud rate of 19200. Is there another program I should be using or another baud rate? I'm quite new at this, so I used the wiki page and tried all of the baud rates listed. At different baud rates it either prints out more or less of the gibberish, but always gibberish. Should I choose a non-standard rate of 19000 or something? - Viperspike

evilroot

Post by evilroot »

Most of us old-schoolers use Hyperterm (well, maybe just me). PuTYY isn't really oriented towards serial communication, and for something like the Wavebubble you will need to go into advanced configuration options and disable all flow control. Perhaps making the Wavebubble more friendly with modern terminal software or even (god forbid) making a front-end program would be a good goal for anybody still working actively on the software end of things.

Mictronics

Post by Mictronics »

I use Bray's Terminal for testing and programming the WB2010.

https://sites.google.com/site/terminalbpp/

You use obviously boards named WB2010 Rev 2b, be sure they are the same like my initial design.

viperspike

Post by viperspike »

I got into the menu using a baud rate of 25000. Not sure why, but it works :)
I put a program in as follows:

High Band VCO 1700 ->2200 (724, 254)
Low Band VCO 850 -> 1000 (758, 98)

I can then tune the program

PLL for RF freq 1950MHz & prescaler 8: B=243 A=6 midpoint @ 764
bandwidth tuning...
PLL for RF freq 1700MHz & prescaler 8: B=212 A=4
254 done!
PLL for RF freq 900MHz & prescaler 8: B=112 A=4 midpoint @ 776
bandwidth tuning...
PLL for RF freq 800MHz & prescaler 8: B=100 A=0
236 done!

but during operation, it doesn't seem to do much unless I have the device within 3" of a "receiving source"

I have these antennas on the WB
VCO#1 = http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch ... 19&cur=USD
VCO#2 = http://www.digikey.com/product-search/e ... 31-1039-ND

Any ideas? Do I need to change out anything to better achieve this frequency range? - Thanks - Viperspike

Mictronics

Post by Mictronics »

The baud rate problem is obviously because of the internal RC oscillator. Since the baud rate depends directly on the RC oscillator a frequency offset there will shift the baud rate up or down.
If you are able to compile the code then you can change the oscillator calibration value in main function:

Code: Select all

/**
 * The main function.
 * \return Zero
 */
int main(void) {

OSCCAL = 0xC0; // Calibrate internal RC oscillator

// setup system tick counter
You can set the calibration value to zero, but there is still a risk that the baud rate is slightly different to 19200.
The RC oscillator can be individually calibrated but a Atmel STK500 or AVR-ISP is required.

---
It seems you are trying to jam cell phone ranges. A few things to consider:
The output power of the WB is spread over the tuned frequency range. A higher frequency range will lower the average power used.
Keep in mind that jamming with the WB works only in the way that the noise floor is raised. I guess the signal to noise ration for mobile communication within urban areas is way higher than what you can archive with the WB. Also the phones are using time multiplexed modulation and maybe frequency hopping which makes them more resistant against jamming.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”