Schottky Diode Problem???

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Lanmasterd

Schottky Diode Problem???

Post by Lanmasterd »

Hey all sorry for not updating my Blog been so busy building and photographing everything.
have run into a problem .. my 5v power supply section ive blown 2 100uf 10v caps with this problem.. i thinks its the schottky diode rectifier i have a FAG27 SS14 40V 1A is this correct .. cos the schematic says use the diode 1N5817 which if u look it up in digikey or RS or mouser is 20V 1A could this be why my caps are exploding?
my 3.3 supply is perfect its bang on 3.3 and my battery is outputting at the rite power 3.7 @ 1.8ah

the VOLTAGE entering the {5V stage} INDUCTOR is 3.77v and the output from the INDUCTOR is 4.25v .. can any one else confirm there voltage power INPUTS and OUTPUTS thanks ..

The blog im running will be getting major updates tomorrow morning i hope befor lunch..

Thanks all
PLease get back to me soon..
Lanmasterd

Lanmasterd

Post by Lanmasterd »

This is the Diode and wats left of the capasitor 100Uf 10V ..

This exploded in my face i was lucky i didnt loose my eye.
when the diode is on i get a 37.5 voltage on the positive side of the capasitior.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

in some earlier schems there was an error in the graphic, check the latest ervisions for the feedback resistors

Lanmasterd

Post by Lanmasterd »

Thanks
ill double check but im sure i was using the rite one. but good advice none the less..
so im guessing the diode i have is rite yeah the 40v 1a .?

I bought that one from the link on the MAKE page from Mouser.

Thanks again Ladyada

Lanmasterd

rc:line

Post by rc:line »

Remember that on tantalum capacitors the positive side is marked, while on regular electrolytic capacitors, the negative side is marked.

Lanmasterd

Post by Lanmasterd »

problem resolved .. turns out the flux i was using was bridging under components so i desoldered and cleaned the board with aceatone and resoldered using less flux..
Bingo problem solved.

thanks again everyone for the help..
lanmasterd

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”