VCO selection for RC1a

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
andyroo56

VCO selection for RC1a

Post by andyroo56 »

Hi,

I have been doing a lot of review and familiarization of this project for the past month (looking up parts and examining the eagle files) before I start building. Looking at these forums I've seen a number of people who have said they used different VCO's from the Ladyada Wavebubble project (e.g.: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30621). I am wondering why the choice in different VCOs?

Is it simply for the increased spectral coverage? And if this is the case, why bother? As I understand it, the Ladyada project VCO's should cover all the cell phone frequencies anyways...

Any enlightenment is much appreciated. Thanks!

lightningserpent

Re: VCO selection for RC1a

Post by lightningserpent »

I used the 5v VCOs on my RC1a because they were easily available from the manufacturer. I wish I could give you a great explanation like "reducing part count" or "power consumption reduction" or "wider frequency range" but the fact is that the 12v VCOs used in the original RC1a are just not easily found since mini-circuits no longer produces them.

I discovered the VCOs part numbers when looking into the WB2010 schematic. Many of the other changes I made were based on the WB2010 or at the very least were a combination of the RC1a, WB2010, information on the forums, and research done on the topic.

andyroo56

Re: VCO selection for RC1a

Post by andyroo56 »

Looking at the website, Minicircuits is selling both the ROS-2500+ and the ROS-1700+. Maybe they were out of stock for a while...? Anyways, I've ordered them.

Thanks for your response, hopefully my project goes well. Will update with my further progress (in another topic).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”