5V Supply Failure

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
andyroo56

5V Supply Failure

Post by andyroo56 »

I built the 5V supply for the Wave Bubble RC1a according to the errata pages with the following components:
IC2 = LM2733, R3 = 36.5k, R4 = 12k, C20 = 560pF. The regulator would start off ok (~4.8V) but then would drop within a minute to around 3.4V. I then decided to remove C20, and changed R3 to 39k; this worked well for about a minute giving a supply voltage of ~5.3V; however after that the voltage jumped up to ~12.5V and burned the tantalum capacitor (C10).

I've replaced C10, changed R3 back to 36.5k and left out C20 unplaced; however, I am scared to turn it on again as I do not have another tantalum to replace this one.

Does anybody have any suggestions? What values for R3, R4 and C20 did anybody else use? I've seen other designs where people removed C20 but I'm not sure that it's okay to. Any suggestions are appreciated, this is quite frustrating.

lightningserpent

Re: 5V Supply Failure

Post by lightningserpent »

I had a lot of trouble when I built this section on my wavebubble. One thing to check is inductor; has it bridged, shorted, or otherwise failed. I would also check IC2 and see if it has shorted out.

The L1 value for the LM2733 should be 15uH. I used an LM2731Y and the inductor value was 7.3uH.

I am sure that part of my issues were with the inductors, but I have no evidence to support that claim. At one point I removed everything from the 5v section and placed all new components. I did place C20 (but I ended up removing C60 later on).

My RC1a Build Journal

soram

Re: 5V Supply Failure

Post by soram »

Definitely check the inductor! The contacts appear to be in diagonally opposed corners but actually they span the whole side underneath. It is easy to place them 90 degrees off and solder the 2 corners. It may appear to work fine but if the board flexes it will short across the pads............

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”