Replacing omni antennas with directional patch

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Bandit

Replacing omni antennas with directional patch

Post by Bandit »

Has anyone tried to replace the omnidirectional antenna with a simple patch antenna to increase the power transmitted in any one direction? This would be useful in a room or to target the area to jam. A different antenna would be required for each band of interest as microstrip patch antennas are quite narrowband.

nova

Re: Replacing omni antennas with directional patch

Post by nova »

you can make a patch antenna with fr4 board, but you need to calculate dimensions based on center frequency( lots of calculation!!!!). I wonder if a yagi antenna would work also for what you are trying to do?

I hope this helps!

Bandit

Post by Bandit »

I know how to make the patch, I was just curious to see if anyone has tried it with a directional antenna to see how much the effective range of the wave bubble is. A yagi should provide more gain but at the expense of size. If I design a patch Ill do a back of the envelope calculation and then use a program like CST to simulate, and optimise it. When I get round to it Ill post the details.

nova

Post by nova »

the directional antenna idea you are trying is similar to a cell phone tower antenna. they are directional too.
it would be hard to prevent cell phones in all directions around you from working. only the cell phones in the antennas patch will be affected. also the antennas in cell phone towers are pcb antenna with low VSWR and high gain.

I hope this helps.

:D

amigomaxwell

Post by amigomaxwell »

Can't wait to try my Yagi-Uda microstrip antenna with the Wave Bubble ! :lol: :lol:

Bandit

Post by Bandit »

AmigoMaxwell, have you simulated that antenna to get radiation patterns? Id be interested to see how well it works. Im gonna make a patch antenna, but try to make it as compact as possible. Also will try to make it work well at 900 and 1800 MHz since 1800Mhz should be the 2nd resonance if 900 MHz is the fundamental mode of the antenna. The patterns will be different but it should still work (will have to be careful with the matching though).

whitey

Post by whitey »

I'd definitely be interested to see the results of your work. I'm a relative newb to this. I've built a simple cantenna for my wifi and I was thinking about the same thing for the wavebubble. It'd be great if an experienced individual does this and shares the details. It's kind of hard juggling school with my hobbies :mrgreen:

amigomaxwell

Post by amigomaxwell »

Hi guys, sure, no prob ! I'll post them as soon as I have some time to dive into the deeps of my hard disks ! (I designed those antennas a long time ago... :lol: )

amigomaxwell

Post by amigomaxwell »

Bandit wrote:AmigoMaxwell, have you simulated that antenna to get radiation patterns? Id be interested to see how well it works. Im gonna make a patch antenna, but try to make it as compact as possible. Also will try to make it work well at 900 and 1800 MHz since 1800Mhz should be the 2nd resonance if 900 MHz is the fundamental mode of the antenna. The patterns will be different but it should still work (will have to be careful with the matching though).
Bandit, the problem with this will be that the antenna will take a big dimension due to the frequency scaling. The antenna I designed was about 20cm long @ 2.4GHz. Or either you will have to use a PCB with a very high dielectric constant (I used standard FR4 substrate)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wave Bubble”