RimPOV

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
The_Hushed_Casket

RimPOV

Post by The_Hushed_Casket »

Check this out
It looks like a company that makes car rims used the idea of Persistence of Vision in their rims. They can display color images. There's a video in the link.

telmnstr

Fanscreen

Post by telmnstr »

There is another company that makes a device called a FanScreen. It is a ceiling fan with a full color POV bar or three. I got to wondering if the pimpstar rims are actually fanscreen bars + software tied to the notebook via radio modem.

I wanted to make ground effects, and hacked up a commercial kit and had everything working okay on a test bar. I had planned to use a Roland plotter to draw on copper PCB and make my own tubes. Then I started looking at China, and just bought some tubes from a vendor in China. Saved quite a bit of time.

I think I paid about $170 shipped for 400 each of 5000mcd red, blue and green LEDs straight from China. A friend and myself had some crazy ideas for a POV display similiar to one called "Spin" that is shown at Burning Man (I only know this from a web page). But he moved back to North Carolina.

Also... I've been into the LED sign thing for some time, and I remember someone saying that Alpha actually turned to making their own LEDs for their signs because they were having such a hard time finding LEDs uniform in color... I don't know how uniform the cheap Chinese LEDs are.

IanO

YouTube link

Post by IanO »

Here is a link to a video ad for these rims.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeKD-LWjAKY

$12,000 ?!?!?! Not sure I like their sleezy marketing angle on these.

Ian

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”