Customizing the Spoke POV Software?

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tinkerdave

Customizing the Spoke POV Software?

Post by tinkerdave »

Previous PM | Next PM
Message subject: Spoke POV
Sent: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:26 am
To: ladyada
Hi there ladyada,

My name is Dave Bailey, and I am an exhibit prototyper with the Science Museum of Minnesota. I develop and build phenomena-based interactive exhibit components here. I was just wondering if you are the author of the software for the Spoke POV that is shown on your site. We have an interest in building an exhibit that highlights the Spoke POV, and was wondering if it would be possible to have the software customized for the particular needs of our visitors. Basically, we would be looking for a more simple interface that would include the option to make a customized graphic, choose from a small selection of .bmp images, or have the option of entering text in a text box; all in a single control pane. We could also include slider controls for the rotational offset and animation timing controls as well.

If you are the software author, could you let us know. If not, do you know who is. I also have a couple of other questions, but I'll reserve those until I hear back from you on the first question.

Thanks so much for your time!

Dave Bailey
Exhibit Prototyper
Science Museum of Minnesota

adafruit

Re: Customizing the Spoke POV Software?

Post by adafruit »

tinkerdave

Post by tinkerdave »

Thanks. We are aware of the software. The question was whether or not the programmer of that software would be willing to work with us in making a modifed version to be used in a museum setting where it can be used by visitors. This would be a consultation gig.

Dave

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

nope. too busy

sparr

Post by sparr »

I would point out that even if a third party programmer is willing to make the software changes that you want (which is likely, especially if there is financial incentive)... You still have the 'problem' of having to connect the programmer to the spokepov to update the picture, and then disconnect it to spin the device. Adding a wired or wireless connection to the rotating device would be nontrivial.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”