Create a rotating image?

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
budgy speedwagon

Create a rotating image?

Post by budgy speedwagon »

Aside from loading a rotated copies of a single image into each bank, is there a way to cause the static image to rotate? For example, a star or flower could slowly rotate. This would make a spiral design truly mesmerizing! (Inspired by that other spoke LED system on the market.)

Perhaps something to increasingly delay the electrical impulse after the hall sensor is triggered?

Then would it be possible to have this rotational effect turn off and on? Or switch directions?

budgy speedwagon

Re: Create a rotating image?

Basically, I want spinners. 8)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

if you edit the firmware, its pretty easy to do. but you'll have to write that code

kayrock66

Post by kayrock66 »

There was a version of firmware that someone wrote that does this, its in the messages or sample image links, you'll have to search for it.

The difficulty is that the boards aren't synchronized with each other so the rotation won't be as smooth as it otherwise would be. The image would jump back and forth slightly between the different board rotations.

budgy speedwagon

This what you were talking about? http://www.madoverlord.com/Robots/BRIGHTSABER.t

Thanks for the tip!

budgy speedwagon

Hmm... Wait, I haven't reviewed the code yet, but it appears the "BrightSaber" firmware is designed to have an image move from the rim to the hub, but I want to make the image move clockwise (or counterclockwise) around the wheel, i.e., angular motion. But reviewing the code might give me some ideas regarding scrolling.

budgy speedwagon

One more follow up. The BrightSaber hacker's zipfile also includes a Pac-Man firmware, and his hacks are annotated. (Thank you Trebor!) Based on a quick look at his notes, it seems the Pac-Man firmware (he includes several distinct firmwares) will move an image clockwise or counterclockwise around the wheel. Great!

Rampart

Post by Rampart »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”