spokePOV at high speed!

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jwh1977

spokePOV at high speed!

Post by jwh1977 »

I built up a set of POV's for use in a roller racing application but had problems over 30mph with the batteries being forced away from their contacts and hence causing the units to malfunction.

I've modifed my units by popping the batteries on the axle. All the bits were available from Maplins my local electronics supplier; so it was pretty easy to achieve. I've had them up to 50mph without trouble (on the rollers)

If you want any advice on how to mod like this, let me know and I'll see if I can help. I've put some more information about it here.

adafruit

Re: spokePOV at high speed!

Post by adafruit »

ok yes the spokepovs should -not- be run at high speed, they're just not built for it!
you can keep the batteries in by using wire ties or zipties to hold them in place. theres 4 holes for this purpose next to each battery

sparr

Post by sparr »

I wondered what those holes were for!

Honestly, though, I also recommend moving the batteries off the PCB and closer to the wheel hub for many reasons:

A) Less problems with centrifugal (i know, i know) force

B) Less 'tall' hardware to obscure the view of the LEDs from the side

C) Easier to waterproof the board

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

There is a 2 pin header, J1 specifically for that purpose. Simply desolder the tabs if you dont like them.

jwh1977

Post by jwh1977 »

Yea - I saw the header but its too high up the board; it'd be much more useful on the hub end so as not to require long cabling. Anyone got any neat ways of cabling to battery packs? I just soldered 9V connector clip leads directly onto points on the main board - it's kludgy but it works. It'd be nice to have some simple connectors really.

Also - I'm totally unhappy about using cable ties - I've got through soooo many trying to fit this things properly. There must be a better way! Maybe it depends on the wheels - but none of my wheels have a convenient spoke pattern for them :( might have to invest in a cheap set of wheels just for the lights.

Cheers all!

vvs

Post by vvs »

...one of variants of the use of charge device

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

having the connector up top doesnt make really a difference in where you put the batteries. just run wire down one of the spokes!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”