the Parallel Dongle... REQUIRED? (SPOKE POV Programming)

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SeaBiscuit

the Parallel Dongle... REQUIRED? (SPOKE POV Programming)

Post by SeaBiscuit »

To Program the SpokePov...

is the 25 pin connector required... or can I just use a 9 Pin Serial Connector. (I have tons of Serial connectors from old motherboards, from some com2s that were located on a card slot cover).

I would really like to use one of these connectors
http://www.ocean-server.com/images/c_3.gif

Seems an easier interface than the 25 pin connectors?

anyway...

thanks for reply..

- Sea

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

serial port interface is coming soon....2 weeks!

bear_phillips

Post by bear_phillips »

Are you going to use the serial port to program it or to just load images?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

both! :)

Unicyclist

Post by Unicyclist »

ladyada wrote:serial port interface is coming soon....2 weeks!
OOOOHHH, still waiting & wishing. :P

olaf_marzocchi

Post by olaf_marzocchi »

What about irda? it's easy to use and it does not requiers cables.

Unicyclist

Post by Unicyclist »

Actually, what I think I'd really like to have would be SD memory chips on the SpokePOV - slip the SD into the `puter, copy files (quick! :D ), slip it into the SpokePOV, done - no cables (no communication hassles), no python (which won't run on my old computer - Win ME) and my desktop, laptop or PDA could do it. Leave the board on the cycle and I could carry pre-recorded chips so I could change the images anytime. 8) :D

Of course this would require a complete re-design of the board :cry:

foobert

Post by foobert »

actually, sd cards can be accessed over the same spi interface used for the eeprom and shift registers. if there's a pin available on the tiny2313 for chip select on the sd card you ought to be able knock out a hack pretty quick.

jof

Post by jof »

foobert wrote:actually, sd cards can be accessed over the same spi interface used for the eeprom and shift registers. if there's a pin available on the tiny2313 for chip select on the sd card you ought to be able knock out a hack pretty quick.
I would guess that one would need a beefier microcontroller for this. While SD cards, per the standard, are required to support the older SPI/MMC transfer mode (even in the dumbed-down 4-wire setup), the transfer isn't the same, so it wouldn't be that easy of a hack. It would require implementing some more powerful stream manipulation on the chip; not a one-banana job, but by no means impossible or difficult.
And then there's the issue of writing data to the card...

Unicyclist

Post by Unicyclist »

jof wrote:And then there's the issue of writing data to the card...
Issue, what issue? You pop the SD chip into the port (more and more computers are coming with various chip ports) and copy the data. All you'd need would be something to convert from your artwork to the format SpokePOV can understand.

An additional plus, it would be possible to have more frames, so more complex animations & SD chips that small should be inexpensive

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

so, SD cards are way more complicated than just SPI..the protocol is SPI sure but theres a LOT of other handling. i doubt you could fit it in the current spokepov design code (the micro is almost full)...

deek

Post by deek »

Anyone try designing something using a PIC? I have found that they are easier to sample then Atmel and free is always good.

povpro

Post by povpro »

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”