Batteries in, all LEDS go on

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
blckorder

Batteries in, all LEDS go on

Post by blckorder »

I just finished putting together my first kit. I know that I made one error - I put IC8 (one of the serial to parellel latches) on the wrong side of the board. When I put in batteries, none of the 8 LEDs next to IC8 light up (which I'm assuming because of this error). However, I know that all of the other LEDs are working because every single one lights up (and stays on) when I put the batteries in.

So my first question is - Can I just cut my losses with IC8 and leave it backward and broken? If fixing it is necessary for the rest of the thing to work, know any tricks for getting a latch out once it has been soldered in :D ?

And two - Why will all of the lights turn on, but then do nothing else? What can I do to fix this?

Another question I thought of while typing this - my USB dongle will not talk to my computer. As far as I can tell everything is put together correctly, but the LEDs (put in the right way) won't turn on when i plug it in, and it's not being detected. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

blckorder

Re: Batteries in, all LEDS go on

Post by blckorder »

Note - I'm using Windows 7

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I'm not sure exactly what would be affected by putting the chip on the wrong side, but it can't be good!

To remove it intact, get some solder wick and/or a solder sucker and go pin-by pin to remove as much solder as you can.

But your chip is likely damaged anyway, so I'd do it the quick way: snip each pin & remove the body of the chip. Then heat each pin with the iron and pull it out of the board.

blckorder

Post by blckorder »

Thanks for the advice. I was able to get the chip off relatively unscathed. I attempted to reinstall it correctly, and as far as I can tell was successful. That is to say, now all of the LEDs are functional.

However, my other two problems persist.

1) When I put in the batteries, all of the LED lights go on. This is all that they do - every single LED, unblinking. Nothing happens if I push the button, nothing happens if I sweep a magnet.

2) The USB dongle does not function. I haven't the slightest idea why not - everything seems to be put together correctly. I am using a Windows 7 (64 bit) system.

Thanks again for the help.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

until you get the 'LED test' sequence, you shouldnt bother with any software. get that functioning first by looking for errors in construction

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”