Programming SpokePOV with Linux & Serial dongle?

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
systest

Programming SpokePOV with Linux & Serial dongle?

Post by systest »

The purchase info for the SpokePOV dongle states "Serial port: Requires a PC with a serial port running Linux/Unix or Windows. Can be used with a USB serial port converter on MacOSX/Win/Linux"

The Download site lists only v1.0 of the programming software for Linux even thought there is a v1.2 for Windows and OS-X.k

I pulled down v1.0 and modified the config file per the lined out instructions at the documentation site. I have adding the following to SpokePOV.cfg:.
commlink=serial
commport=/dev/ttyUSB0

When I try to read from or write to the device I get:
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/dev/parport0'

I'm mot a python coder but I don't see anything in the script to indicate it works with a serial dongle.

So my questions are:
1) Does v1.0 work with a serial dongle?
If so, what am I missing?
2) Is there a v1.2 of the software available for Linux?
If so, where?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

v1.0 doesnt do serial
uuum, for now you can get the python script if you download the macos x v1.02 and look in there for spokepov.py i just forgot to upload it seperately. ill try to do that this weekend...

systest

Post by systest »

I tried to use the Mac OS file but wasn't able to find a tool or file system that would allow me to access the contents of the DMG file.

No problem. I'll wait for the upload or, shudder, boot a windows box.

Thank you.

systest

Post by systest »

Part of my problem with the Mac OS dmg file is it is zlib compressed. I was able to decompress it to a simple hfsplus ISO image using the "dmg2iso" script available at http://vu1tur.eu.org/tools/

Then it was a simple matter of mounting it loopback with: mount -o loop,ro -t hfsplus s.iso /mnt

I am still having some issues but I expect they may be due to the USB to serial converter I am using.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”