Utterly bewildered and perplexed over SpokePOV problem

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jlamont2020

Utterly bewildered and perplexed over SpokePOV problem

Post by jlamont2020 »

I have a unique problem that I was hoping someone here already found the solution for. Well actually 2 problems. I have 4 identical SpokePOV systems in blue, and with all the OEM parts they function flawlessly. However I decided that I wanted to upgrade them to have additional memory banks. I bought (4) 25LC1024 to replace the original EEPROM memory chips with. The 1024 chips all function the same, and all seem to work and not work the same. When any of the 1024 chips are placed in 2 of the SpokePOV boards, the software does not recognize any of the memory banks. When any of the 1024 chips are placed in the other SpokePOV boards, they recognize the 32 different banks, but do not correctly write to the banks. The software appears to write to the banks flawlessly, however if you read back the data, the image is a corruption.

The corruption however is not randomized, it has a pattern, each one of the 32 banks corrupts the images almost identical to the previous and next bank, but with minor differences. Conversely, each bank corrupts identically to the same bank on the other 1024 chips. For simplicity sake imagine the data written to bank 1 is "AAAA" it would read back "AAA1" but if "AAAA" was written to bank 2, it would read back "AAA2". Now switch to another chip, and the same exact pattern applies. Mind you, that all of these board write, read, verify, and perform flawlessly with the OEM EEPROM chips.

I haven't spent too much time trying to fix the problem, as I have been trying to figure out what exactly the problem consists of. If anyone has had similar problems like this, I would be very thankful for any input you can give. I had heard the SpokePOV kit was compatible with 32 banks, but I seem to be having some trouble.

Other info:

Apple Intel Macbook Pro (newest generation as of April 2011)
i7 quad-core
8gb RAM
Snow Leopard OSX
USBtinyISP
Newest version of SpokePOV software for Mac

adafruit

Re: Utterly bewildered and perplexed over SpokePOV problem

Post by adafruit »

the software doesnt support such large eeproms
use 32KB max (256 Kb)

jlamont2020

Post by jlamont2020 »

Hmm, I believe you had written in a previous thread that the 1024 would be the max. Is this a actual limitation, or if I spend some time tweaking the software can I get it to work?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

do you have a link to that thread?
the software can support larger eeproms but the hardware may not as they are addressed differently

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

the post has been edited

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”