Failed to communicate?

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hunkydory

Failed to communicate?

Post by hunkydory »

Hi everyone, this is my first electronics project, so I'm a bit of a n00b, so please bear with me! :)

When I finished putting them together, all the LEDs on my spoke lit up in some combination. Then, on the USBTiny, the green light illuminated when testing avrdude.

However, when I try connecting to the SpokePOV program, the connection fails. I've set the port type to USB, then changed the Comm Delay from 1000 to 10000 in small increments, however nothing seems to connect to the computer. I did the test as per the instructions on the Test Port, and what I find is that pin 1, instead of the greater than 3V, I find I'm getting about .154 V. I checked the other pins, and they were between 0.15-0.2V.

Could you provide insight to what I'm doing wrong? Could it be a bad component? Or several? What is the best way to troubleshoot this? Also, should I need to desolder, do you have any recommendations for desoldering tools, especially jobs like this? My current desoldering pump is here: http://www.elexp.com/sdr_0802.htm

Also, I'm working on a Mac OS. I included some pictures. Thanks!

Back:

Last edited by hunkydory on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Failed to communicate?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Can you pot larger photos? It's hard to see the detail in those.

hunkydory

Post by hunkydory »

Thanks for the response, I've edited the original post to show larger photos. Also, I changed this in the original post, but should note that the rest of the pins were between 0.15-0.2V instead of the original post saying 0.15-2V.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

do the test with the jumper in?

hunkydory

Post by hunkydory »

Still practically nothing when I measured it with the jumpers.

When I connect the USBtiny to my computer and run the avrdude LED test, the green indicator light up.

When I connect my computer to the USBtiny, Terminal doesn't seem to recognise the USB port (using ls /dev/.cu*), everything else but the USB is recognized.

Any other ideas?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

hunkydory wrote:Still practically nothing when I measured it with the jumpers.

When I connect the USBtiny to my computer and run the avrdude LED test, the green indicator light up.
If you connect it to the spokepov and run "avrdude -P usb -c usbtiny -p attiny2313" what does it say?
hunkydory wrote: When I connect my computer to the USBtiny, Terminal doesn't seem to recognise the USB port (using ls /dev/.cu*), everything else but the USB is recognized.

Any other ideas?
there isnt a device made in /dev. People keep bringing this up even though its in the FAQ, which we think makes debugging confusing. :(
Why do you think there would be a /dev/cu* ? Is this mentioned in the documentation somewhere?

hunkydory

Post by hunkydory »

New developments! Managed to connect to the spokepov program, but it looks like 2 of the 3 ATtiny2313 weren't working (when they were connected, it failed to communicate, but worked with one).

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

do the chips work otherwise, like the test LED procedure, etc?

hunkydory

Post by hunkydory »

I'm not sure. On one of the boards the LEDs aren't all completely lit, and doing the hard reset doesn't run through the LED test procedure. I'm going to try and recheck all solder joints to see if it's a mechanical problem (all of the LEDs were lined up when I checked and re-checked them, and I'm certain we can eliminate the LEDs being reversed, and all the chips are lined up according to the notch).

One of the boards works perfectly though. I used this board to figure that the two controllers don't work, since 2 of the 3 failed to communicate.

(Also, thanks for working through this with me, I really appreciate it!)

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

sounds like a soldering/assembly issue not necessarily a microcontroller issue. look over for differences between the working one and nonworking, backwards chips, etc? get them all so they run thru the hardware reset LED test!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”