external LED strip on my SpokePOV

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
carmatic

external LED strip on my SpokePOV

Post by carmatic »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZMcp6c-yY0
as the video description says, this is my SpokePOV that i puchased last year and i finally got around to powering it up... its lighting up 2 pairs of while LED strips that i have modified , via 2 transistor banks ... the LED's are default 'on' because the transistors are NPN and i have not altered any code in the attiny2313 ... this is it displaying the (inverted) default image which came preloaded with the SpokePOV

the biggest problem was the 60-conductor connectors warping from the solder heat, and not fitting together properly anymore.... it took alot of work to get all the LED's connected properly and lit up!

carmatic

Re: external LED strip on my SpokePOV

Post by carmatic »

The purpose of these LED strips is for this

this isnt the first VAWT with POV since there was one made by a company called Quiet Revolution back in 2006 which did the same thing... but im pretty sure that mine is the worlds only 'homemade' , magnetically levitated VAWT with POV

As you can probably tell this is SpokePOV displaying one of its preloaded patterns, but in a cylindrical format rather than on a wheel

the Hall effect sensor response seems to be quite inconsistent, the 2 levels of brightness in the LEDs in this long-exposure photo is caused by the SpokePOV 'playing back' the image at 2 different speeds relative to the rate of rotation

this is a video of it in action
http://youtu.be/65w1bNFryw4

adafruit

Re: external LED strip on my SpokePOV

Post by adafruit »

Interesting, what about using a digital LED strip? might be easier than handsoldering 60 LEDs ?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”