Conformal coating tips and tricks

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DoctorDidj

Conformal coating tips and tricks

Post by DoctorDidj »

I feel the need for weather protection for my spokes, living in Boston where there's lots of rain and mud and such. I looked at several coating options, and chose silicone as most resistant to moisture. (Urethane and acrylic are apparently not as good against water.)

For my test piece, I sprayed both sides of the board at once. This meant that some of the freshly sprayed coating dripped off as the board was turned over, resulting in an even but thin coating. I think next time I will spray one side and wait for it to gel before turning it over and spraying the other side -- for a thicker coat. Thoughts?

<a href="http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/422a.html">MG Chemicals's page</a> says the stuff cures better at higher temperatures, they recommend 65C (150F) for an hour, so I set the oven for 150 F and popped the board in for an hour. My test piece was an FM transmitter. I'm not sure what effect this heat soak might have on components like LEDs. Anybody tried it?

"Heat curing will improve the physical strength of this coating" they say. Do other folks use heat curing? If so, does the heat soak cause any problem for the electronics? If not, does it make a big difference in strength?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”