Design idea: Bayer pattern on pair of Spoke POV

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kayrock66

Design idea: Bayer pattern on pair of Spoke POV

Post by kayrock66 »

I know the FAQ says a full color display would be prohibatively expensive but I think the assumption was that the 3 chip devices would be used, and these are much costlier than the regular single color units.

But we're using persistance of vision right? Why not use 3 seperate devices and let the eye integrate the colors? So if people are buying 3 units per wheel, why not buy a red, a green and a blue unit? It wouldn't cost any extra. The subject image would be broken down into the 3 seperate color layers and uploaded to the respective units. Shades of colors represented as half toning like color newsprint uses.

But you can take this one step further to take advatage of how the human eye processes color. Most image detail is perceived in green. Red and blue detail can be provided at lower resolution and the eye doesn't notice. Digital cameras do this using a pattern of RGB pixels called the Bayer pattern. Basically on even rows the pattern is GBGBGBGB... on even rows the pattern is RGRGRGRG... . So realized as a SpokePOV, we would use 2 units. One with the RG pattern and one with the GB pattern. The greens fill in alternating in a manner as the wheel spins similar to the interlacing a television does. Color image is pre-processed into the 2 sets and uploaded to their respective units.

So there you have it, a concept for full color using only 2 spoke POVs with the perceived resolution of a monochrome display.

p.s. I found 3V red LEDs so you could intermingle them with greens on the same stick.

spacehippy

Post by spacehippy »

this is brilliant how did it go?

kayrock66

Post by kayrock66 »

Stay tuned... experiments in progress. Early indicactions are that the wheel would have to be spinning tres fast to look good in the configuration as I've described.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”