oh noe! spokepov won't light up

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
eog

oh noe! spokepov won't light up

Post by eog »

We're making two spokepov's together from the kits. We're newbie solderers, but we checked each others work, and we think it's okay. Put the 2 AA batteries in, and nothing lit in either. The battery closest to the flat, non-curved side got a little hot before we pulled it out in each kit.

Obviously, we did something wrong! But what should we do now? We went through all the orientations of the latches, etc, and they checked out. How do we check all the connections? If one of the components is damaged, how can we tell? Might we have heat damaged something with our soldering, or maybe a short did?

What next!?

magician13134

Post by magician13134 »

I would suggest taking a high-res picture or scan of one or both SpokePOVs so people can see exactly what's going on

kayrock66

My guess

Post by kayrock66 »

The picture will answer the story, but I'd venture to guess you soldered the battery contacts into the wrong position for one of the battery positions :oops: . The 3rd battery position, used only for the blue or green kits is shorted by default on th board copper. If you soldered the battery holders in for this position, and then loaded a battery in, the battery would be shorted, get hot, and the spoke POV circuit would not be powered due to the open battery position at #1 or #2 positions.

eog

not sure if this is hi-res enough

Post by eog »

I'll try and get a scan (and I'm going to see my robot-building friend in the next couple of days, so she can sigh and tsk-tsk over the soldering), but here's some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizhenry/2151997393/ onwards

kayrock66

Post by kayrock66 »

Hey I guessed right :D . I can see in your picture that you soldered the battery contacts into the optional battery position on the end opposite the microcontroller (in the region of the scissors silkscreen) and neglected to populate the middle battery postion which is normally required.

At this point you can either:
1) Move the battery contacts to the right spot or
2) Keep them where they are and cut the shorting trace on the PCB as if you had a 3 battery SpokePOV and then bridge the middle battery position to complete the circuit.

eog

Post by eog »

Oh yay -- so pleased it's something relatively trivial. We'll try resoldering tonight. Thanks for checking!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”