Question about spoke POV+bike speed-anyone have a video?

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
airblaster

Question about spoke POV+bike speed-anyone have a video?

Post by airblaster »

I was curious: is there any way to have the POV sense how fast you're going and calculate/adjust? It could work the way bike computers operate: a magnet is mounted on the frame, every time the sensor passes the magnet it registers. After two passes a speed can be determined, the image could then be adjusted by how fast the LEDs pulse? The code may be rather complicated.

On a side note, I was wondering if anyone could post a video of their Spoke POV in action-possibly of them starting slow and accelerating. I'm just curious how the image looks at different speeds. Maybe there are some videos somewhere.

adafruit

Re: Question about spoke POV+bike speed-anyone have a video?

Post by adafruit »

airblaster wrote:I was curious: is there any way to have the POV sense how fast you're going and calculate/adjust? It could work the way bike computers operate: a magnet is mounted on the frame, every time the sensor passes the magnet it registers. After two passes a speed can be determined, the image could then be adjusted by how fast the LEDs pulse? The code may be rather complicated.
http://www.ladyada.net/make/spokepov/faq.html

!!

kayrock66

Re: Question about spoke POV+bike speed-anyone have a video?

Post by kayrock66 »

You have all the information necessary to do what you want but you'd be writting custom firmware for the microcontroller. The uC knows the time between magnet pulses, and it knows its own frequency of operation.

Look on You-tube for some video. Keep in mind that the eye works somewhat different than a camera for fast movement but you can get the rough idea of what it looks like.

airblaster wrote:I was curious: is there any way to have the POV sense how fast you're going and calculate/adjust? It could work the way bike computers operate: a magnet is mounted on the frame, every time the sensor passes the magnet it registers. After two passes a speed can be determined, the image could then be adjusted by how fast the LEDs pulse? The code may be rather complicated.

On a side note, I was wondering if anyone could post a video of their Spoke POV in action-possibly of them starting slow and accelerating. I'm just curious how the image looks at different speeds. Maybe there are some videos somewhere.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”