Hot hot heat?

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bilal

Hot hot heat?

Post by bilal »

Well, I've put together my spoke POV, and I put in some batteries to test the lights and my microcontroller seemed to get waaaay to hot really fast. The lights all didn't light up sequentially, actually the first time I put the battery in half of one side lit up, and a quarter of the other did too. And when I took the batteries out and put them back, the whole of one side lit up, and the other almost completely lit up. All LED's are installed correctly, and I've checked all my paths.

My question is the hot microcontroller normal, should I just try to program my images onto it to see if it'll work? Or is something wrong and should I troubleshoot before busting some chips?

-Thanks for all your help last time, I can't wait to use this to advertise for my shows!
-bg

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

sounds like something is in backwards or shorted. if you post nice high quality photos of your work then i can double check it

bilal

yagotme

Post by bilal »

Yeaaaah... I had a chip socketed backward. Fixed it

But I just had a weird accident. I connected my usbtiny to my spoke pov and it works fine, but I think you should mention that you should not plug in the batteries when you use this, because the USB provides power. My batteries just blew up and ooozed everywhere.

Will usbtiny work without batteries? I just tried to write (i had connected just fine, i edited my pictures, and now i want to write) and it says no.

: \
-bg

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

you mean here?
http://ladyada.net/make/spokepov/makeusbdongle.html :)
ill add a note to the software page too.

bilal

: \ oops

Post by bilal »

Yeeeaaah, sorry, I went to the software page direct.

I actually got it to connect and talk to it by doing this:
Close the program
take out batteries
plug in the usbtiny
turn on, select usb and connect
works

-you're one quick lady!
BG

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”