Power up - 1 chase and then heat!

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
feinberj

Power up - 1 chase and then heat!

Post by feinberj »

Hello! I have purchased a triple kit and assembled one of them so far. When I put in the 2nd battery, I get one "chase" pattern. The last light stays lit on the battery side (next to r1, labelled B1 in the my image), and the 6th last light stays lit on the other side (near RN2, labelled R6 in my image). When I press the test button, the light near R1 stays lit and on the other side the 6th from last shuts off and two others turn on. The 9th from last (near rn4, labelled R9) and the first (near rn8, labelled R30). If I press and hold the test button, I can get "B1" to turn off, and sometimes I can get all the lights to turn off.

When I put in the third battery, the same thing happens but IC10 gets quite hot after 15 seconds or so.

I have noticed in the battery graphic a little "3 batts cut here" with an arrow. If I scratch out this trace, will this likely solve all of the problems? Or should the board work with 2 batteries (but perhaps with less battery life) ?

I have made a movie of the chase pattern, and also posted high-resolution images of the assembly:

http://www.johnfeinberg.com/misc/spokePOV

Will scratching out the "3 batts cut here" line solve all the problems? Is it likely to be something else?

Thank you for your time!!! The kit has been super fun.

John F
Montclair NJ

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yes you must cut that trace

feinberj

Same problem, BUT no heat!

Post by feinberj »

Thank you for the super fast response! I have clipped the trace. IC10 no longer gets hot, at all. However I am still having the same problem (other than the heat) as described in the post. The test button does not initiate a test pattern. It lights B1, R9, and R30 (as labelled in my post http://www.johnfeinberg.com/misc/spokePOV ), or if you hold it for 5 seconds and let go it will light only R30, or it shuts them all off.

Given this, is it likely to work once I build the USB interface?

Thanks very much!!

John F
Montclair NJ

mikeyp

Post by mikeyp »

it's an on/off/reset button, not a test button. On mine I press them all to get them all in sync for animations before I go riding.
To test it you need to wave the magnet past the sensor a few times. Try different speeds to see how the speed thing works.
Oh and make sure you get the magnet the right way up - red line facing the sensor.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”