spokePOV without spokes/wheel/hall sensor?

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
doog

spokePOV without spokes/wheel/hall sensor?

Post by doog »

I'm contemplating a POV project for POI (playa attendies may know this term), basically spinning on the end of a string, but there would be 2 of them, and you do tricks and stuff spinning them.

I want something with the image/animation features of the spokePOV, and the 30 LED resolution is very attractive... but spinning in the air means no fork/downtube etc, so no hall effect for the hall sensor.

I'd imagine that using a simple 555 timer setup in the hall sensor's place to send a repeating signal that could be tweaked manually to keep the spokePOV setup cycling could do it, but it's been decades (86?) since I've played with digital circuits, so I'm not sure how to go about this.

I know the hall sensor helps detirmine how the image is rendered (rpm etc), but I'm not too concerned about image distortion. My main goal is keeping it from going into idle without the hall sensor. Possibly just a code tweak to keep it repeating without it?

adafruit

Re: spokePOV without spokes/wheel/hall sensor?

Post by adafruit »

doog wrote:I'm contemplating a POV project for POI (playa attendies may know this term), basically spinning on the end of a string, but there would be 2 of them, and you do tricks and stuff spinning them.

I want something with the image/animation features of the spokePOV, and the 30 LED resolution is very attractive... but spinning in the air means no fork/downtube etc, so no hall effect for the hall sensor.

I'd imagine that using a simple 555 timer setup in the hall sensor's place to send a repeating signal that could be tweaked manually to keep the spokePOV setup cycling could do it, but it's been decades (86?) since I've played with digital circuits, so I'm not sure how to go about this.
you can just do it in the firmware for the microcontroller: replace the external pin interrupt with a timer interrupt like on the minipov. it would only take you a few hours to get it working i bet, since both use the same chip

doog

Post by doog »

if that's the case, I'm sure I can figure it out. Thanks for the help, now I just gotta wait for my tax return so I can order me some toys :)

doog

Post by doog »

OK,

Got my two spokePOVs, assembled both, aside from a single reversed LED which was easily fixed, they both tested out functional. Dongle is working fine, I was able to upload 4 images for the 4k animated config, again tested fine. With all that in mind I decided to dig into the firmware for the hall sensor change mentioned above, and wanted to try my changes, and that's where confusion sets in.

I've got a minipov2 I got with the spokepov's and had no issues at all with compiling and programming it, however I cannot get the spokepov firmware to compile. I then tried with the unchanged original firmware and got the same result.

Code: Select all

E:\POV\spokePOVc>make all

-------- begin --------
avr-gcc (GCC) 3.4.5
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or BANNED FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Compiling: main.c
avr-gcc -c -mmcu=attiny2313 -I. -g -Os -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fpa
ck-struct -fshort-enums -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DF_CPU=8000000 -Wa,-adhlns=ma
in.lst  -std=gnu99 main.c -o main.o
In file included from main.c:37:
e:/WinAVR/avr/include/avr/signal.h:36:2: warning: #warning "This header file is
obsolete.  Use <avr/interrupt.h>."
main.c:83: warning: return type defaults to `int'
main.c:83: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
main.c: In function `INTERRUPT':
main.c:83: warning: type of "__vector_4" defaults to "int"
main.c: In function `internal_eeprom_read':
main.c:461: error: `EEWE' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:461: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
main.c:461: error: for each function it appears in.)
main.c: In function `internal_eeprom_write':
main.c:468: error: `EEWE' undeclared (first use in this function)
main.c:472: error: `EEMWE' undeclared (first use in this function)
make: *** [main.o] Error 1
is this a gcc compatibility thing? I'm still a c newb so I'm not sure where to begin here.

doog

Post by doog »

anyone?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

try fixing the #include the way the compiler suggests.

doog

Post by doog »

I have already tried this, and it does remove the include error, however the function errors still remain. The reason I included the error without the correction was to show that compiling the original, unedited code had issues compiling.
however I cannot get the spokepov firmware to compile. I then tried with the unchanged original firmware and got the same result.
Again, this was with AinAVR and avr-gcc 3.4.6, under what conditions did the original code compile, I'd like to replicate that rather than try to correct for compiler version issues.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

*sigh* some header files changed since the last release. yay avrgcc crew. i fixed the code and its up on the site now

owenman

Post by owenman »

ladyada wrote:*sigh* some header files changed since the last release. yay avrgcc crew. i fixed the code and its up on the site now
yay ladyada!

but... where's the link to the updated code? unless i am missing something, your spokePOV page still links to the old code. (v1.0 - which i just downloaded and got the same complile error that doog described).

thanks!!!

owenman

Post by owenman »

OOPS!!! :oops: Just hit refresh on my browser, and now I see that they are indeed there! THANKS!

doog

Post by doog »

Worked perfectly, thanks for the update ladyada, I got the code modified, once I get the rest of the poi part of it assembled I'll be sure to post some pics, so far I'm very happy with the results.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

sweet! just dont hurt yourself! :) pcbs are made of epoxy fiberglas...sharp and tough!

doog

Post by doog »

The plan is to attach a cloth 'flag' to the trailing edge (the side of the pcb with the spoke hole tail) to keep the trailing edge actually trailing... And to use some kind of rubber bumper on the leading edge, probably attached with zip ties. All those holes for zip ties for the spokes are going to be quite handy! Again, once complete I'll be sure to snap some pics as I seem to remember another post on here where someone was interested in trying something similar.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

good idea, that will keep it oriented right too. good luck! take pix!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”