Need some grounding in laser cutting/eng

Share your information, hints and discuss Laser cutters/engravers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
shobley

Need some grounding in laser cutting/eng

Post by shobley »

Hi,

Over the holidays I built a CNC router from a Bluumax kit - it works great with the Dremel 4000 as a spindle, and so far I've done a bunch of really cool stuff.

However, I'm about to start building a much bigger v2 and I'm looking for a use for the existing kit.

I keep coming back to the idea of replacing the Dremel with a laser cutting head. I've been reading up on what's involved (enclosures / smoke venting etc...) but I was wondering if this is just a pipe dream. Is it really possible to do this, or should it just be left to the professionals?

Steve

250 coupe

Re: Need some grounding in laser cutting/eng

Post by 250 coupe »

Hello Steve,

I have a full size Epilog Legend 24 70 watt laser but don't have a CNC of any kind. I find myself lusting after a Bluumax type machine but may convince my cousin to get one for himself.

While the router/laser conversion concept is good, I don't think it will work as well as a dedicated machine. My machine moves at more than 80"/min when rastering with a resolution of 1200 DPI. It does move slower (30-40 IMP at times) when vectoring but finding a laser small enough to mount and powerful enough to cut will be tricky. The laser tube enclosure itself is about 14" long and 5" square. It's cooled by 8 or 9 4" fans. That's for 70 watts. I don't think a handheld laser will cut gears and clock parts like you have with the router, that will take at least 25 or 30 watt if using a CO2 laser.

I like your clock parts and should try making one of my own. I can cut up to 1/4" in one pass, beyond 3/8 and it starts to burn the edge too much.

Michael

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Laser”