Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Need some grounding in laser cutting/eng
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Need some grounding in laser cutting/eng

by shobley on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:06 am

Hi,

Over the holidays I built a CNC router from a Bluumax kit - it works great with the Dremel 4000 as a spindle, and so far I've done a bunch of really cool stuff.

However, I'm about to start building a much bigger v2 and I'm looking for a use for the existing kit.

I keep coming back to the idea of replacing the Dremel with a laser cutting head. I've been reading up on what's involved (enclosures / smoke venting etc...) but I was wondering if this is just a pipe dream. Is it really possible to do this, or should it just be left to the professionals?

Steve
http://www.stephenhobley.com
http://www.youtube.com/shobley
For all your laser harp, tesla coil, and killer robots from outer space needs.
shobley

Re: Need some grounding in laser cutting/eng

by 250 Coupe on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:09 pm

Hello Steve,

I have a full size Epilog Legend 24 70 watt laser but don't have a CNC of any kind. I find myself lusting after a Bluumax type machine but may convince my cousin to get one for himself.

While the router/laser conversion concept is good, I don't think it will work as well as a dedicated machine. My machine moves at more than 80"/min when rastering with a resolution of 1200 DPI. It does move slower (30-40 IMP at times) when vectoring but finding a laser small enough to mount and powerful enough to cut will be tricky. The laser tube enclosure itself is about 14" long and 5" square. It's cooled by 8 or 9 4" fans. That's for 70 watts. I don't think a handheld laser will cut gears and clock parts like you have with the router, that will take at least 25 or 30 watt if using a CO2 laser.

I like your clock parts and should try making one of my own. I can cut up to 1/4" in one pass, beyond 3/8 and it starts to burn the edge too much.

Michael
70W Epilog Legend 24, bought it new in December 2002
250 Coupe