Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

>2D
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

>2D

by rektide on Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:40 pm

Greater than 2D. (Also a cool emoticon.)

I'm wondering if anyone else has interests in a laser cutter with >2 degrees of freedom. My current plans are to build a reprap, then design and build a head to one dimensionally control the angle of impact of a 20-50 watt optically coupled LED laser diode. Given that I dont even know what electronics the reprap is actually going to run, and that I havent begun designing the low voltage supply for the diode, this is all a bit off, but I wanted to throw this post up, and gather what info there is.

Someone designed a laser cutting head for the reprap, and has a video of it on youtube. This design has a rotating head, which at the moment I dont foresee myself needing. It seems to have manual angle of incidence adjustment, which perhaps might be automate-able with good results. Anyways, cool project, check out the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Idxz5VNgI

Matt
rektide