Legal disclaimer for tech engraving

Share your information, hints and discuss Laser cutters/engravers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kumorigoe

Legal disclaimer for tech engraving

Post by kumorigoe »

I want to start doing tech engraving in my shop, such as laptops and cell phones and such. Obviously, we can't afford to replace a unit that we make a mistake on. What are your suggestions for a disclaimer for customers to sign?

tntc

Post by tntc »

I am not a lawyer, (IANAL just sounds SO wrong), but I know that in some places you can only limit your liability so far. It may be worth it to ask a real honest to goodness lawyer about your state's laws on this matter, or just look em up. It would really suck to have that disclaimer, and have them still sue the bejesus out of you.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

signing a waiver does not actually protect you against a lawsuit (although it may help in court)
on the other hand
if your customer is suing you because the tattoo isnt what they wanted
you have some serious customer relations problems

engravee

Post by engravee »

This is what I had, simply to make sure the customer is aware about warranty issues, and that the spelling & graphic are spelled correctly and placement is confirmed.

Hope you find this helpful:

• Approval of work and Warranty Statement:

The Customer is required to sign the below statement authorizing that the content to be engraved is approved and spelled correctly, otherwise Engravee will assist the client in making any necessary adjustments to meet their needs BEFORE the engraving process.

Laser etching does not affect the operation of electronics because of its low power and low heat method of laser engraving.

Laser etching is a "do at your own risk" service and we do not make any guarantees regarding manufacturers warranty policies.

Engravee has researched the warranties of various electronics vendors including Apple Inc. Nowhere in the warranty statements do they mention that laser engraving will void their warranties. However, we have heard reports of Technical support representatives advising folks not to etch or 'modify' their equipment, for fear it may void their warranty. It is to the discretion of the technician/Manufacturer to decide whether laser engraving has or has not voided any warranties.

By signing this statement the customer understands the above statement AND approved the content and it’s spelling to be laser etched to the product. Keep in mind that this is a permanent process.

Signature: ___________________________________ Date: ________/_________/_________

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Laser”