Moleskine Engraving Settings

Share your information, hints and discuss Laser cutters/engravers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ak chris

Moleskine Engraving Settings

Post by ak chris »

Didn't see it on the Wiki, so I thought I'd ask here. Anyone know the settings for engraving a moleskine? I will have a Universal M360 60watt by the end of the month and am planning some Thank You gifts for artists who recently participated in an exhibit I curated.

Thanks!

Chris

LaserGregg

what exactly is the substrate?

Post by LaserGregg »

I looked up what a moleskine is.
Is it a paper product? let me know, I can advise what to look for when running tests.... you get one shot.

ak chris

Post by ak chris »

They are an oil skin covered notebook modeled after the ones that the likes of Picasso, Hemmingway, Van Gogh, etc. Used. They are popular with artists, etc. I've carried one for years. They fit nicely in your back pocket so you can record your "brilliant thoughts" as they occur (mine is mostly empty...ha ha).

It is quite popular to engrave them right now....

Thanks for your help!

LaserGregg

two choices I see from here

Post by LaserGregg »

2 choices are this....... etch it enough to make your mark... or
nuke it so it looks stamped or branded with a "deep relief"...... you have to decide this.... also dpi and clarity affect your performance.
depending upon your medium.... which will harm the cover the least.
with 60 watts you could evaporate the whole thing.
http://www.opticaletching.com/OEINKLESS.jpg
I'm the Etchician...not the artist.

ak chris

Post by ak chris »

I just want to laser/brand the surface. I don't want to burn through the cloth covering. I may have to drag out an old one and experiment. I just wasn't sure where to even start as far as settings and go from there.

Thanks for your input.

LaserGregg

If it was all about settings.........

Post by LaserGregg »

you would know a dozen etchers......
this is a feel thing like guitar or cooking.
screw something else up first.
work into it..... but test wood first.....
paper would be finer.... and an oil paper would be finer due to the finish in my opinion.... I forgot to ask photos?
and whats the size of your table?

ak chris

Post by ak chris »

If I understand correctly every laser is different so recommended settings are just starting points anyway.

-Not sure what you mean by photos.....what I intend on engraving or of the moleskine?

- Universal M360 60 watt with a 12" x 24" table.

LaserGregg

Photos

Post by LaserGregg »

I'm kind of cryptic when it comes to descriptions.
There's no guild of etchers.
wood test pic... same photo three ways..... different settings
photos, text and both require a skilled technique.
http://www.opticaletching.com/testw.jpg

ak chris

Post by ak chris »

Just a follow up on the settings I settled on for engraving moleskines with my 60watt Universal:

15% power
100% speed
250 PPI

Hope that is of use to some of you out there...

Chris

LaserGregg

thats etching......

Post by LaserGregg »

Did you notice how when the settings changed, what you wanted out of the etch did also? most users do not have 60 watts...... so the settings will change the look you want of the etch. link up a pic.....

ak chris

Re: thats etching......

Post by ak chris »

[quote="LaserGregg"]Did you notice how when the settings changed, what you wanted out of the etch did also? most users do not have 60 watts...... so the settings will change the look you want of the etch. link up a pic.....[/quote]

Since I'm a rank amateur, I went from putting a deep, crispy "brand on my wife's notebook to the desired result in several shots. I used the ULS recommended setting for BANNED and then backed off until I got the desired effect with no charring. I'm at my "real job" right now so I'll take some pics when I get home.

I did 14 for a friend's BANNED and they went over well. I also did their BANNED guest book and found I had to crank it up to 22% to get the desired effect.

LaserGregg

The Best Etcher in Alaska.

Post by LaserGregg »

now you are pro.
Its a 10 hour stare at a 10 foot putt.
60 watts can do a lot.
doesn't etched BANNED smell great?..... hmmmmmm

ak chris

Post by ak chris »

A pro already? Gee, I guess I should start charging more!

All seriousness aside, I just did my first BANNED the other day. Either I have a great ventilation system or I didn't get the full effect. I ddn't cut just engraved an image onto a BANNED guest book. I didn't see any charring, it just lightened the surface and gave it an embossed look. Nice result. I'm going to try cutting some veggie tan BANNED I have next to prototype out some knife sheaths for a friend who is a knifemaker. I expect to get the full odiferous experience then!

I've only been at this for less than a month but its clicking. I bought my unit used and had it shipped up here to my little island in Alaska. I read everything I could, asked the seller a few questions, checked out forums like this and was burning away before the rep ever got up here. He showed me some maintenance, some Corel tricks, helped me diagnose an air assist issue and was surprised how much I was already doing.

There is no substitute for just rolling up your sleeves and doing it.

Chris

LaserGregg

Nice!

Post by LaserGregg »

so I give good advice? cut 1/8" BANNED tile and you'll smell it.
its a feel. you have to know your heat, your file and your time.
I was cutting 1/4" acrylics 5 hours straight last night til 3 am for a friend who drove two hours to get to me each way. prices vary with loyalty here. its a 10 hour stare at a 10 foot putt.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

BTW, moleskines are made with PVC (vinyl) and create chlorine gas when heated (with a laser, for example)
it is toxic to humans/animals and destructive to the laser, even with a filter system

http://www.ladyada.net/rant/2008/07/mol ... ntain-pvc/

a few moleskines wouldnt do much damage, but if it was going on got 5-6 hours a day, 5 days a week that could make an effect.
personally i dont think its worth the risk, but it may be for others, it depends on how much liability you are interested in carrying.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Laser”