Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Any recent thoughts on the Laser Business?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Any recent thoughts on the Laser Business?

by n3rd1 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:01 pm

I was looking for any recent thoughts on the progress of the Laser etching as a functional/profitable business model or idea?

I am in upstate NY in a City with Apprx 25k people. Short driving distance to a few colleges/university.

I am looking into the idea of opening a business revolving around computer support/customization, hardware "hacking" and microcontrollers (education and sales, not in house development) , and laser etching, with possibly a publicly accessible 'shop' where average folk could use high end soldering and other equipment.

The laser can be used for the computer customization and to a smaller extent the 'citizen engineering'. What I am really looking at is what kind of return from the etching side of the business could be expected.

I heard the talk at HOPE this year and PT mentioned that the fruit laser paid for itself in 6 months? I was wondering if you thought that was just do to the influx of free advertising and promotions you guys got from news articles or if there seems to be a solid base of interest from non nerds in this area??

Obviously the business clients would be more diverse and abundant in a larger city but I would still love to hear any thoughts from either the 'house' here or anyone else already in the business.

-n3rd1
n3rd1