2.8 tft LCD Touch Updaes?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

2.8 tft LCD Touch Updaes?

by civicbynature on Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:34 pm

Will there be an updates to adafruits library for the 2.8tft touch.
That will enable menu's or Horz/Vert Orientation of text.

I see that nuelectronic's has a screen remarkably similar to ours with calibration,menu's,and horz/Vert Orientation example codes/library.
Uses the same LCD driver and everything.
Here's their's
I would use there library, but theirs has the SD and the screen all on a shield and their library is much more complex than adafruits to repin. At-least for me it is.

Point is there is code out there for these options if someone wanted to say adjust theirsforadafruitslibrary*wink*wink.

I have been actively comparing the too to try and figure out if I can make sense of the way theirs is pined and coded.
To me at-least it gets complex because many of there command functions are named differently.

Has anyone else attempted this?

Edit: OH theirs also has a font editor as well.
civicbynature

Re: 2.8 tft LCD Touch Updaes?

by adafruit on Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:50 pm

we are -always- working on improving the library, we recently improved the touch screen resolution, added examples to display bitmaps, and will try to improve rotation. we also have an SD+2.8" TFT shield that will work with our code.
adafruit

by civicbynature on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:50 pm

Thank you. I do in fact like not using shields as i prefer to pin and arrange to fit my needs.

Has anyone successfully made a menu with this LCD using adafruits library or nuelectronic's code using adafruits LCD.

Resolution is great but lets work on some basic catch up functions that everyone else is already using then perfect them.

But that's just my opinion I guess.
civicbynature

by jersagfast on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:07 pm

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but the library is updated with proper rotation now. :)
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
thecustomgeek.com

jersagfast

by delvach on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:28 am

On a related note and out of curiosity, have you guys investigated the possibility of integrating an xbee adapter onto a future version of the touch shield?
delvach

by civicbynature on Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:47 am

I am aware of the the new updates for rotation. Thank you tho... I have had some luck with the menus as well but frankly The coding required for little tasks is less than pretty not because I dont think it can't be done easier but I tend to do things the Long hard way I guess.

Question? Dear Adafruit Now that there's SDcard functions for this lcd Can/Would you decrypt the process of custom fonts. As my understanding of the limitation at first was the lack of ram which also contributed to lack of bitmaps. Now that thos are addressed via SDcards. Might there be fonts and menus on the test bench? :wink:
civicbynature

by adafruit on Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:00 pm

can you post a photo of what you mean by 'menus'? fonts are tough because there is 0 ram for buffering them, so they do need to be stored in flash
we're planning to eventually adapt jeelab's fonts
http://jeelabs.org/2011/06/05/proportional-fonts/
but there is no ETA yet
adafruit

by civicbynature on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Actually By menus I was just talking about what jersagfast has done. Here is the link to the other post he replied to.

The menus he has created with it has some stunning potentials.
Link to his video showing menus on youtube. Here

This is actually what i was talking about. Only difference was that the other library had them built in some how.

As to the fonts. So does that mean because there stored in the flash I'm guessing on the LCD board that the font is written in a different way than normal making it harder to just replace the current font.c with a different one. Sorry I'm just trying to understand by asking questions.
civicbynature

by bobi-one on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:31 pm

You can try my menu GUI, I am still working on it, but Monday will be available at my github
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSXvNE7XmJA i did a really MCU frendly icon/button/bar library which is highly customisable
bobi-one

by civicbynature on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:54 pm

bobi-one wrote:You can try my menu GUI, I am still working on it, but Monday will be available at my github
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSXvNE7XmJA i did a really MCU frendly icon/button/bar library which is highly customisable

Thanks for the interest but It looks like your using the micro touch I don't think what i have has the power to touch what your working on tho what you have look fantastic. I'm using a arduino mega with adafruits 2.8tft touch breakout and stand alone mircoSD card reader. If i get my hands on one of tho's mircotouches it's on like donkey kong.
civicbynature

by civicbynature on Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:43 am

Thanks to jersagfast @ TheCustomGeek

He wrote an awesome menu program for adafruits 2.8tft breakout board.
It has 5 different menu areas as well as a settings area for backlight brightness and sleep timers which saves the settings to EEPROM so the settings are saved even when there's no power. Plus many more features.

I have added many updates. It is now both UNO and Mega 1280/2560. compatible.
I have also added the ability to read actual Vcc voltages at the core using the Bandgap method For accurate voltage readings and sensor readings.
And more. If you'd like to check out the lastest code it's available Here on my site.
civicbynature