The new Raspberry Pi B Model B+ is here - Pick one up in the store and check our detailed guide!

NeTV

by dockmon on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:25 pm

I have a Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro. I purchase projectors and HDMI to VGA convertors. I was hoping to get the video onto a bigger screen. It works with a HDCP compliant TV. Am I understanding correctly that adafruit. com/ products/ 609 , NeTV, is a device I plug between the phone (HDCP compliant) and another HDMI input device (non HDCP) and I will be able to view video on the non HDCP device?
dockmon

Re: NeTV

by adafruit on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:52 pm

that's a good question, we'll ask the designer
adafruit

by bunnie on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:08 am

The answer is a little bit complicated.

Basically, NeTV is not an HDCP stripper. So, if the Xperia Pro would not work with a non-HDCP HDMI device (without the NeTV in the chain), adding an NeTV to the chain won't 'fix' that because NeTV won't strip the HDCP for you and output plain HDMI.

However, if connecting your Xperia Pro directly to your non-HDCP HDMI device shows your content without the NeTV in the chain, it means that the Xperia Pro has a fall-back mode where it can still render content unencrypted.

In that case, NeTV would still work with that chain, as it's fine to work with both HDCP and non-HDCP feeds.
bunnie

by ejonesss on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:24 pm

bunnie wrote:The answer is a little bit complicated.

Basically, NeTV is not an HDCP stripper. So, if the Xperia Pro would not work with a non-HDCP HDMI device (without the NeTV in the chain), adding an NeTV to the chain won't 'fix' that because NeTV won't strip the HDCP for you and output plain HDMI.

However, if connecting your Xperia Pro directly to your non-HDCP HDMI device shows your content without the NeTV in the chain, it means that the Xperia Pro has a fall-back mode where it can still render content unencrypted.

In that case, NeTV would still work with that chain, as it's fine to work with both HDCP and non-HDCP feeds.

if i understand "NeTV is not an HDCP stripper" correctly it means a device like black magic intensity extreme witch will not record encrypted content would not record if the netv is between the protected source and the non complaint receiver ?

if i understand "However, if connecting your Xperia Pro directly to your non-HDCP HDMI device shows your content without the NeTV in the chain, it means that the Xperia Pro has a fall-back mode where it can still render content unencrypted" correctly the netv would allow a device like black magic intensity extreme witch will not record encrypted content or non complaint receiver to see the content?

thanks

ejonesss a potential buyer of the netv?
ejonesss

by bunnie on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:49 am

Hi, sorry about the confusion. Let me try to rephrase it.

You say that your receiver is non-HDCP compliant. This means that it will only work with unencrypted content.

If you can plug your Xperia Pro directly into your non-HDCP compliant device and you see a signal, that means that the Xperia Pro can operate in a non-HDCP mode. In this case, you can put NeTV in between the two devices and it will work okay.

However, if you plug your Xperia Pro directly into your non-HDCP compliant device and you do not see a signal, or you see just noise, putting an NeTV in between does not fix that problem. You will see the same noise or lack of signal.

So basically, what I'm asking you to do is to plug your Xperia Pro directly into whatever you're trying to receive the data -- Black Magic Intensity Extreme, for example -- and see if it can record. If it can, then you can put the NeTV in between and everything should be okay. If it cannot, then putting the NeTV in between will not improve the situation.

Does that clarify?
bunnie

by ejonesss on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:24 pm

according to the video on the device you are decrypting the signal in order to overlay your signal onto it that is how the feed on the top of the video was overlayed.

so is that mean that your unit re encrypting the signal or returning it back to it's original state so it does not qualify as a hdcp stripper?

what is the return policy on your products if it should not work as thought?
ejonesss

by ejonesss on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:58 pm

bump

does the device re encrypt the video after does the overlay?
ejonesss

by adafruit_support_rick on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:18 am

You seem to be asking whether or not you can hack the NeTV to turn it into an HDCP stripper. The answer to that question is going to be that bunnie won't tell you, else he risk losing his license.
adafruit_support_rick

by ejonesss on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:36 pm

i am not trying to hack it i want to know if i can be able to do overlays on encrypted streams.
ejonesss

by adafruit on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Overlays only work on encrypted streams if and only if the
display device also supports encrypted streams.

This is because NeTV never decrypts video. It has no keys internally
that are capable of decrypting anything.

Instead, it simply encrypts the data in the overlay buffer to the
same key that the display device would be decrypting, and replaces the
pixels that correspond to the overlay with the newly encrypted pixels.
For detailed tech details, see
http://events.ccc.de/congress/2011/Fahr ... 86.en.html , or
watch the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TuwozBu1QQ

Thus, if your display or receiving device cannot handle HDCP encrypted
streams, it will not be able to understand NeTV's overlay either, as the
overlay is identically encrypted to the source stream. This is why NeTV
is not a 'stripper' -- it never decrypts video, it simply encrypts the
new data to the same keystream as the original video.

If you are trying to use a Black Magic recorder as your sink, and you're
just getting snow out of the device, NeTV won't help you. Your sink must
be a 100% HDCP-compliant device with proper decryption keys for NeTV to
work with encrypted streams.

Hope that helps.
adafruit

by adafruit_support_rick on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:50 pm

Ah. The the answer is yes:

From the list of features under "Technical Details" on the product page:
Video overlay on HDCP encrypted feeds
adafruit_support_rick