Conway (game of life) upgrade to usb power

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Cypheroni

Conway (game of life) upgrade to usb power

Post by Cypheroni »

Hi all
I'm new at electronics and I thought the conway kit would be a fun starting kit. I love the thing and I want to make a larger matrix and power it by USB. I searched the forums and I can't find any information on actually doing that. Want to keep buying kits as my budget allows and using the 4 pin connector guide provided on the site just keep building the display to massive size. I currenly have 5 total kits so I'll be making a 2x2 matrix until I can afford another 4 kits to make it a 3x3, ect...

Do I just clip an end of a USB cord and solder it inplace of the battery pack? Say a nice long 10' or more cord?
Do I need any more parts on the board itself?

Thanks for the info and I can't wait unitl my other toys arrive for me to learn with, such as the mintyboost and minipov.

Thanks again
Cypheroni

adafruit

Re: Conway (game of life) upgrade to usb power

Post by adafruit »

its so ez: get it working with the battery pack so you know its up & running
Then
cut USB cable in half, & just connect the red wire to + and black to - where the battery pack goes.
thats it!

caboteria

Re: Conway (game of life) upgrade to usb power

Post by caboteria »

adafruit wrote:its so ez: get it working with the battery pack so you know its up & running
Then
cut USB cable in half, & just connect the red wire to + and black to - where the battery pack goes.
thats it!
Yup, works like a champ... thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”