New USB LiPo charger

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_bill

Re: New USB LiPo charger

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

i did not plug in the battery when doing this measurement cause i would like to see how much voltage is it passing to charge the battery
I don't think that is a meaningful measurement. With no battery connected, there will be no feedback to the charge controller.
I remember seeing a post about the charging will stop at 4.2V, does it means that if the LiPoly battery is only 3.7V it will just kept on charging and will not stop drawing power?
Most batteries put out slightly higher than their rated voltage when fully charged. In the case of "3.7v" LiPoly cells, the full charge voltage is 4.2.

muzica

Post by muzica »

oo ok thanks for the info....
Thanks

RuthlessKarma

Post by RuthlessKarma »

How will adding a second LiPo battery and another mintyboost V3 affect the operation of this device? It seems there is not enough room to add another JST connector for the additional battery, any suggestions?

adafruit_support_bill

You should not add another LiPo. Bad things can happen when charging cells that are not properly balanced. There are some new, higher capacity 'balanced' packs in the store that will work 4400 mAh and 6600mAh

jaycollett

Post by jaycollett »

So I have a super quick question, the datasheet for the MCP73833 says it's a single cell charger, if the higher multi-cell lipos you sale are balanced (specifically the 6600mAh one) does that mean I can use this charger with them? I've always seen the multi-cell batteries have multiple wires for multi-cell chargers?

adafruit_support_bill

Yes. These packs consist of 3 matched cells wired in parallel. There is only one pair of leads.

phantomz0

Post by phantomz0 »

hi, i have the lipo charger v1.1

it is too big to fit in the enclosure i want, so i want to cut the bottom off with a dremel. the only thing on the other side is the battery in/out jst connecters.

can i just solder my battery in and battery out to that trace i have marked in the picture? then scrape the surrounding area for ground?

cheers.

adafruit_support_bill

That should work.

yerco

Post by yerco »

I have one of this batteries, I would like to know how I can test its amount of charge.
To just measure the voltage, it's not an effective parameter for my purposes.
Thanks.-

adafruit_support_bill

Tracking the charge state of a LiPo cell is not so simple. The voltage is nearly constant over much of the discharge curve, so voltage alone is a poor indicator. There are "Fuel Gauge" chips from companies like Ti and Maxim that use more sophisticated monitoring methods. There are a few breakout boards available based on these chips:
http://www.robotshop.com/en/lipo-fuel-g ... ensor.html

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”