The FTDI BFF - an enhanced FTDI Friend
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

The FTDI BFF - an enhanced FTDI Friend

by oPossum on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:20 pm

The FTDI Friend is more versatile than the FTDI TTL-232R cable, but I wanted something that could do even more. Sometimes 4 UART signals just isn't enough. So I took the FTDI Friend design and added the features I needed. All 8 UART signals and 2 CBUS signals are available on a 2x6 connector. There is also a power LED. Edge and thru-hole pads allow for a variety of connection options. Routing the board was a challenge because all the via had to be clear of the pads on the back and all the silk text.

The front of the board has a power LED and the six pin serial connection has been duplicated on rectangular pads.

The back now has a CD option for pin 6, and pin 2 is now also configurable. Six rectangular pads provide access to CD, RI, DSR, DTR, CBUS2 and CBUS3.

The board with a 6 pin header socket. (Some minor PCB changes have been made to what is shown in the following pictures.)

An additional 6 pin header socket added to the bottom provides all serial signals in a 2x6 configuration. A right angle header pin uses the thru-hole mounting. An extension cable can be used without an adapter.

EAGLE files
I am the Possum, and I approve of this message. Sent from MacBook Wheel Sorry for my bad German.
oPossum

Re: The FTDI BFF - an enhanced FTDI Friend

by adafruit on Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:14 pm

ZOMG! :mrgreen:
adafruit

by george graves on Tue May 03, 2011 3:48 pm

Nice work! Looks like you were going for a small PCB size. Looks great!

I would have been tempted to try to add on some physical switches instead of the solder bridge pads - but love what you did.
New blog - www.digitalunderpants.com
george graves

by seedjar on Tue May 03, 2011 10:05 pm

I haven't even taken my original FTDI Friend out of the bag yet, but I want one of these!
Great work! I think... I'm still just a baby in the EE world. XD
~Joe
seedjar

by oPossum on Wed May 04, 2011 6:56 pm

george graves wrote:I would have been tempted to try to add on some physical switches instead of the solder bridge pads

100 mil jumpers can be used for easy Vcc and IO voltage selection...
Attachments
ffjmp.jpg
ffjmp.jpg (92.27 KiB) Viewed 3533 times
I am the Possum, and I approve of this message. Sent from MacBook Wheel Sorry for my bad German.
oPossum

by Basile on Tue May 10, 2011 9:24 am

Also some SMD SPDT switches can also be used to simplify the configuration for VCCOUT and VCCIO voltages

I known also that SP3T exist: like those http://parts.digikey.ca/1/1/566509-switch-rotary-sp3t-smd-j-lead-cs-4-13nta.html

Perhaps it will prevent wrong settings, like 100mm jumpers...

Anyway, great design!
Basile

by Scott216 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:26 am

Basile wrote:I known also that SP3T exist: like those http://parts.digikey.ca/1/1/566509-switch-rotary-sp3t-smd-j-lead-cs-4-13nta.html

Do you have a Digikey part number for the above. The above link to Digikey doesn't work anymore.
Scott216