Adafruit 16 Channel Servo Driver @7.4Volts?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
miax

Adafruit 16 Channel Servo Driver @7.4Volts?

Post by miax »

Adafruit,

I have been working on a robot project, a FLORA project and RiderScan for many months now, with work really kicking my butt in the 2nd half of 2012. Fortunately this all changes after Sunday, and I won't have to work the crazy hours anymore - which means I get my Maker Life back!! :)

That said in-between sewing I've started to plan-out the electronics and control systems I'm going to need for the snow droid, and unfortunately the high-torque servo's and servo-gear boxes run at 7.4Volts, which is higher than the chip on our Adafruit 16 Channel Servo Driver can handle from the product pages.. I am curious, is there any way that I could drive this board at 7.4 Volts with special heat-sinking on the chip, or changes somewhere else?

I recall from the Motor Shield docs we can cut a trace and provide our own power to the two servo slots it has, but in that case I don't know if it could handle 7.4Volts or if that shield is limited to 6V too.

If I'm limited to 6V on our Adafruit 16 Channel Servo Driver, I'll just have to run those servo's off another controller (but I would MUCH rather use ours!!).

Thanks! =)

Kris

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Adafruit 16 Channel Servo Driver @7.4Volts?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The chip is powered from VCC. The V+ line goes to the servos only. Just make sure if you install the optional C2 capacitor that it is rated for at 7.4v or more.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”