16 channel Servo board with IOIO
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

16 channel Servo board with IOIO

by Kleekru on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:07 pm

I need some help to create the java code for running the adafruit 16 channel servo breakout board with the IOIO.
I am creating a "player guitar" of sorts and have a working prototype using a Parallax BS2 microcontroller and an Linxmotion SSC32 servo controller.
I would like to use the IOIO because it provides much more flexibility with inputs from an Android device... and the adafruit servo board seems like a good compact size candidate for being controlled from the IOIO... however, while I am learning enough to be 'dangerous" about java and have played with the arduino some, I am not sure how to adapt the Arduino driver you have on this site to work with Java.

I tried using the TLC5940 but there seems to be a polarity inversion issue I need to work through... (the inventor of the IOIO suggested using a NOT gate to allow sending through an inverted signal which I haven't tried yet) and the clocking logic and latching in the pulse width values makes it complex. At first glance the adafruit board looks like it will be more straight forward handling both. That said, it would be nice to get some help with the connections to the IOIO and some pseudo code (and ideally the actual java). I'm assuming I'll still need to use one of the IOIO's PWM pins and that it make sense to use the IOIO SPI commands but it is not clear where to start. The board is out of stock but I'll order one as soon as it is available and would like to have some good advice to get started as soon as it is here. I'll commit to getting the breadboard documented and posted along with some sample code to drive the servos on this thread once it is working. I think the two boards make a great pair that many would find useful for various applications.

Thanks in advance!
Kevin
Kleekru

Re: 16 channel Servo board with IOIO

by Kleekru on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:32 pm

OK, I did it eventually but just noticed I never replied here. I have the IOIO running with the 16 channel PWM controller!!!

There are links here to a video, the source code and a Frizing layout:
http://11387636.weebly.embed.tal.ki/20130324/16-servos-controlled-over-bluetooth-from-a-ja-2511167/#.UczZCCBdnmI.email

Let me know if you have any questions!
Kevin
Kleekru

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:17 am

Cool! Thanks for posting your results :D
adafruit_support_bill

by Kleekru on Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:51 pm

This setup has been great and the post above was near the start of my journey. Check out RoboTar on my website (http://www.Robo-tar.com). We presented at the mini Maker Faire in Greenbrae, CA this month and in 2 weeks we'll show it at the Clean Tech Expo in Benecia, CA. If anyone is interested in following Robo-Tar's progress (Adafruit will come along for the ride)... please fill in a contact us form on the website and we'll let you know when we're ready for our Kickstarter project.
Kleekru

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:38 am

Awesome project! Thanks for posting. :D
adafruit_support_bill