ultimate GPS breakout

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
VK6XT

ultimate GPS breakout

Post by VK6XT »

Hi all,
I am planning to use my GPS to interconnect with the"u3 wspr transmitter"...a kit by Hans Summers. I have connected up the TxD ...pps Vin (4.8v)... and ground(negative).
The unit was placed outside with a clear view of the sky. I left it out for about 2 hours and no data was sent from the unit... the "fix" LED continues to flash at the 1Hz rate.
I noticed a very small gap evident under the ceramic patch and that the ceramic can be wiggled from side to side about 3 degrees!
Is this normal? surely nothing else needs to be done to obtain a Fix ??
Also.....does the data come from the TxD or the RxD......not sure about this anymore...it is only unidirectional signalling into the ATmega pin 2.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: ultimate GPS breakout

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Could you post a photo of the breakout showing the issue with the antenna please? 800x600 images usually work best.

VK6XT

Post by VK6XT »

Here is a couple of pic,s best focus I could get and 1200 x 1600
Attachments
Top view of it NOT WORKING
Top view of it NOT WORKING
IMGP1740.JPG (687.58 KiB) Viewed 544 times
side view of ceramic patch
side view of ceramic patch
IMGP1739.JPG (614.49 KiB) Viewed 544 times

adafruit_support_mike

Just to check, do you have a separate antenna?

That version of the GPS breakout doesn't have its own antenna. The circular object in the lower right quadrant of the upper photo is a uFL antenna socket: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1661

VK6XT

Post by VK6XT »

Come on Mike....your own technical data says:- contains its own internal antenna which gives -165 dBm sensitivity AS WELL as the upl antenna socket. I know that the ceramic square is a patch antenna. It is obvious to me that the unit must be faulty and also that you are trying to blow me off by wasting my time on your Forum. I want to see a refund ASAP

adafruit_support_mike

Sorry.. we've had a lot of CC3000 questions lately, and those *do* have two different antenna configurations. Seeing the open uFL port shunted my brain to the wrong device. The GPS module does have an internal antenna, and is configured to work with an external antenna as well.

It sounds like yours has some physical damage, so let's get you a replacement.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks there will take care of it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”