Peristaltic Liquid Pump - heat resistant?

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
uvgroovy

Peristaltic Liquid Pump - heat resistant?

Post by uvgroovy »

Hi,

can I use the Peristaltic Liquid Pump (http://www.adafruit.com/products/1150) with boiling fluids (110 C \ 230 F)?

Also, can I swap the direction of flow by swapping the +\- (like in a regular motor)?

I have a some ideas for automated cooking, that require moving hot liquids around (like risotto).

Thanks!

jcgoodman

Re: Peristaltic Liquid Pump - heat resistant?

Post by jcgoodman »

It's silicone tubing: exact temp limits aren't listed, but silicone's usually good to well above boiling.
And yes, according to the info on the page you linked, you can swap +/- to revers direction. However, doing that in a digital circuit is a little tricky: you'll need an H-bridge.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The pump will work in both directions. The silicone tubing is capable of boiling temperatures, but I'm not sure about the the plastic roller assembly.

uvgroovy

Post by uvgroovy »

Thanks for the info guys!

Actually my main concern was the plastic roller assembly\motor.... Do you know where can I find the data sheet? couldn't find it on the product page

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

We don't have a data sheet for this pump. I did some testing and put the plastic pump parts into boiling water for an hour. They all survived OK. But the outer housing was noticeably more flexible when hot, so I would expect that your flow-rates would change a bit with temperature.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”