Bluefruit EZ-Key bluetooth problems

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fiddlestiks

Bluefruit EZ-Key bluetooth problems

Post by fiddlestiks »

button connected to input pins (not-working)
button connected to input pins (not-working)
IMAG0576.jpg (281 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
button attached to reset (working)
button attached to reset (working)
IMAG0573.jpg (277.71 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
shows module paired with laptop
shows module paired with laptop
IMAG0569.jpg (277.96 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
I recently purchased 2 Bluefruit ex-key bluetooth controllers (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1535) for my wireless game controller project.

I have not been able to get either of them to send keys. I have run out of ways to test them.

I can get them to pair with my android phone mac and PC but they will not send keys from any of the 12 pins.
The yellow key LED does not light up either.

I have tried multiple power sources different setups, directly soldering to buttons and connecting on a breadboard. I can connect ground to the reset pin and it resets but connecting to any of the 12 key pins it shows no response and have not seen a single keystroke send.

Anything I could be doing wrong?

dcastator

Re: Bluefruit EZ-Key bluetooth problems

Post by dcastator »

I have not attached this unit to a MAC but just recently built a wireless BT foot pedal and the EZ-Key wired right up and worked first time. I am sending 3 different keyboard signals and all worked flawlessly.

fiddlestiks

Post by fiddlestiks »

After reading this post (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=53473&p=271328&hil ... ng#p271328)and trying various things, I am fairly certain I just happened to get 2 bad modules.

inof8or

Post by inof8or »

Are you sure you get good conections wiring up like that?

fiddlestiks

Post by fiddlestiks »

yes, I am sure. I know in those pictures the connections are not soldered but the 2nd module I did solder the connections, the pictures are for showing the manner in which I was testing it (as simply as possible).

I also tried directly from the ground rail on the breadboard to the various pins.

fiddlestiks

Post by fiddlestiks »

Would like to get these 2 modules replaced since since I have a project to finish.

Could have ordered 2 New ones and had them by now.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We can't authorize a replacement based on the photos above.. soldering the pin header isn't optional, and it looks like your switch wiring is shorted to the GND rail. I'm slightly surprised that the power connection was good enough to light the LED.

Please post a photo of the actual working hardware and we'll see what we can do.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

We recently updated our programming jig & we introduced a bug that our tester jig didnt catch - we have figured out the issue, repaired both jigs, and pulled the bad ones. The good news is we know what happened and we're making good ones ASAP - but we have to send you a new module, its not possible to 'fix' the one you have! please email support@adafruit with a link to this thread and ask for a tested EZ-Key.

fiddlestiks

Post by fiddlestiks »

Thank you for the response and for taking responsibility for the bug. I will be sending the email promptly. It is this kind of honesty that I value and will certainly be happy to purchase from adafruit in the future.

dcastator

Post by dcastator »

Looks like I may be the newest victim. I recently received 3 new EZ-Key modules and after setting the first one up it paired just fine, but will not send a key stroke. I have not tested the other 2 as of yet, but they all came at the same time so chances are they are all bad.
How do I go about having these replaced? Need to fairly quickly I have to get this project completed in the next 5 days?

Please help!!

Regards,
David

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for replacements. Please ask for tested units

dcastator

Post by dcastator »

Awesome customer service! Thank you for the quick reply......I did test another unit and it does not work as well so I am convinced the 3rd is bad. I just sent an email to support asking for the procedure to return these 3 and receive 3 new working modules.

Regards,

dcastator

Post by dcastator »

I seem to have another issue with my Bluefruit EZ-Key....I am trying to change the key sent from 2 of the pins #10 and #6 from the default or S and 1. I downloaded all of the software "Gui_EZkey_remapper - the library and processing. executed the software and it found my EZ-Key...it allowed me to target the pin I wanted to change - it then stated that "Checksum Match :) However, when I went to execute the button I got no response back to the computer. I tried several different changes but nothing would work after completing. The buttons would return nothing to the computer. When I loaded the default and hit Send Map Checksum Match :) everything worked as normal for default......what am I doing incorrectly??

I am trying to send a consumer map of "Volumeup" and "Volumedown"

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.....btw I tried version 1.5.1 of processing with library and version 2 with library....both worked as described above. It seems as if the only thing the EZ_Key will save is the default settings........

Regards
David

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

dcastator wrote:I seem to have another issue with my Bluefruit EZ-Key....I am trying to change the key sent from 2 of the pins #10 and #6 from the default or S and 1. I downloaded all of the software "Gui_EZkey_remapper - the library and processing. executed the software and it found my EZ-Key...it allowed me to target the pin I wanted to change - it then stated that "Checksum Match :) However, when I went to execute the button I got no response back to the computer. I tried several different changes but nothing would work after completing. The buttons would return nothing to the computer. When I loaded the default and hit Send Map Checksum Match :) everything worked as normal for default......what am I doing incorrectly??

I am trying to send a consumer map of "Volumeup" and "Volumedown"
can you change them to non-consumer keys?

dcastator

Post by dcastator »

I can change them and it reports back that it accepted the change, however, when I press that switch I get "NO" reply back from the EZ-Key module. I can see the green light flash that it is sending a signal, however, nothing is received at the computer it is paired with.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”