Misleading description for MAX31855 breakout board.

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cshapter

Misleading description for MAX31855 breakout board.

Post by cshapter »

Thermocouple Amplifier MAX31855 breakout board description:

" -200°C to +1350°C output in 0.25 degree increments"

Ok, you described the device's precision, but failed to inform us of it's accuracy. From the Maxim datasheet, "This converter resolves temperatures to 0.25°C, allows readings as high as +1800°C and as low as -270°C, and exhibits thermocouple accuracy of ±2°C for temperatures ranging from -200°C to +700°C for K-type thermocouples."

The datasheet Thermal Characteristics table shows that from -270 to +1372C, we have a +/-6 range accuracy for K type with this range.

The Type-K Thermocouple you sell on this site says it's only good up to 500C. That leaves us with an accuracy of ±2°C.

I guess what I'm saying is the description is both incomplete and potentially misleading. We as consumers should always consult the data sheet, but that's almost like the old RTFM expression. Great advice, few do it.

It would be great if the description was updated so people have the info they need at a glance.

That said, I'm still going to order one for my easy-bake reflow oven project. Love the site & all the tutorials!

adafruit2

Re: Misleading description for MAX31855 breakout board.

Post by adafruit2 »

precison/accuracy noted

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”