Multiple addresses for I2C connection of INA219s

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
khan

Multiple addresses for I2C connection of INA219s

Post by khan »

Hello,
I am using current sensor INA219. Since this current sensor is I2C supported, I should be able to connect multiple (in my case only 2) sensors in a circuit. I also see there are two address (A0 and A1), I should be able to connect 4 current sensors. But I do not see any corresponding connections in breakout board, so just wondering how I am going to make different address for each board.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Multiple addresses for I2C connection of INA219s

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There are 2 address jumpers on the right edge of the board: A0 and A1. To change the address, you can bridge those jumpers.

khan

Post by khan »

OK, there is one jumper for A0 and one for A1. Please correct me if I am wrong. I can make four address using following connections. One with no jumper connections, one with A0 jumper only, one with A1 jumper only, one with both A0 and A1 jumpers. Am I correct here? If so, what will be the four different device addresses?

khan

Post by khan »

Furthermore, A0 and A1 closes to the edge are already connected. I confirmed this with multimeter. Given this, it is hard to see how there could be four address. Furthermore this is also confusing, since there are four gold squares, appear to be separated from each other.

I also have confirmed that the Vin+ and Vin- pin are shorted. Is it the right? According to my knowledge, there should be a very small resistance.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The addressing is shown on the assembly page of the tutorial - see near the bottom: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ina ... t/assembly
I also have confirmed that the Vin+ and Vin- pin are shorted. Is it the right? According to my knowledge, there should be a very small resistance.
They are not shorted. They are connected via a 0.1 ohm shunt resistor: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ina ... t/overview

khan

Post by khan »

Thank you very much. I got it now.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”