Barometric sensor - BMP180 -Address Error or Dead??

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Franklin97355

Re: Barometric sensor - BMP180 -Address Error or Dead??

Post by Franklin97355 »

Can you bypass the cobbler and jumper directly from the GPIO header to the BMP180? Also post the complete i2cdetect output. From what you posted it looks like the i2c bus is not working.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

How about testing the BMP by bypassing the cobbler?

Also, this won't make a difference, but it doesn't look like you using the current BMP python library.
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Python_BMP

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Just to check too does the matrix keypad use I2C to communicate (the SDA and SCL pins on the Pi) or does it use other GPIO pins? If it doesn't use I2C it won't tell us if there's an issue with the Pi's I2C pins unfortunately.

lomahuca

Post by lomahuca »

I was in the same boat... but then I realized that the ground pin was not making contact with the GND pin on the RPI, after that everything went right.

Hope this help.

Mike

automatelife

Post by automatelife »

Just thought I would share my results with my new BMP180. At first it did not work and the key to figuring out why was receiving a value from sudo i2cdetect -y 1 (77). I was getting 00 for all values! Why? I failed to remove the film from the contacts on the BMP180 causing my solder to not bond properly to the contacts. I discovered this by reheating the connections and retesting using i2cdetact -y 1 command. I got a return (77); however after the solder cooled it stopped working again. I removed the solder, gently scratched the contact area, reapplied solder and now it works with no issues. My recommendation is to clean the contact area well before applying solder to ensure it takes. Cleaning the contacts with isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip CAREFULLY as recommended works well. A classic case of failing to following instructions. Good luck.

r0bin

Post by r0bin »

i got same error now fixed, my mistake was:
i was using EEPROM SC and SD pins (27 and 28) instead of I2C SDA/SCL (3 and 5 on B+) => yes, shame on me :)
if it can help someone...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”